Why become a member? ×

DHA VT1 DI EQ Mod

paul_5

I thought this was a long post on another thread, so I'm starting another one dedicated to my latest project....

I LOVE my DHA pedal, but thought that it might just be improved a little bit...

I've had a play about this week with wiring a footswitch in parallel with the 'Colour' and 'boost' switches - effectively allowing me to switch them both on or off without having to bend down and flick 2 switches. 

To this end I've used an old 9 pin serial lead (needs 9 wires to do it properly and add an LED) and it seems to work very well.

The Boost channel is required, as the 'Colour' switch adds more overdrive (a good thing) but compresses the signal which effectively reduces the output. I can also preset the 'Boost' to a second channel for parts when the whole band gets louder (and dirtier!). 

I've replaced the 'Boost' switch (which was originally an ON-ON toggle) with an ON-OFF-ON toggle, effectively taking the original switch out of the equation, as the part of the circuitry is a bit more complicated, and I don't want to upset anything.

It’s very much at the ‘proof of concept’ stage, so I decided to run the cable through one of the holes above the tube:

669991BA-8E56-424C-9F42-ED86F90647AC.thumb.jpeg.43faefe05138ce8296995d61669a88f8.jpeg

inside the DHA:

C4059D43-291D-4F88-8A1E-10D6B0417511.thumb.jpeg.4f445513b8694e618c8dac754fba109a.jpeg

and the tiny foot switch; much smaller than a standard o/d pedal, so takes up less room on my board, and the power for the LED is taken from the DHA, so it’s not a drain on my 9v supply.

85069377-E622-49F4-A94B-D6BD0EC1C64E.thumb.jpeg.dd83a18284c3ba48513e745df7586f7d.jpeg

The next step will be to put ‘proper’ sockets on the pedals (and tidy up the voltage divider/current limiting resistor for the LED!) so that it can be used with a simple 9 pin lead and I don't have stuff poking out of holes in the top!

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

It worked really well, the best way would probably be to take the on board switches out of the equation, and just have it exclusively controlled by the foot switch - I might try that this week, as I’m off work with COVID.

Thats what I was thinking. I'll be interested to hear how that works out!

• 1 month later...

Nice work.

I've just bought one from @dodge_bass and am happy with it but I was already mucking about to do this same thing but in a much more basic mechanical way with technics lego so if I click 'colour' it also clicks 'boost'..... I failed and gave up after about an hour though so I'm not sure I've got the skills/patience to do what you've done! 

I was also considering just changing the switches for more heavy duty things that I can do more easily by foot without damaging them- breaker switch type things. 

Edited by SumOne
Typo