Why become a member? ×

AMPEG SVT CL & AMPEG 6x10 CAB

JackLeRipper

Hello all, I'm new to this site, and I would like to share with ya's my experience of buying a brand new AMPEG SVT CL head with the AMPEG 6x10 cab. I purchased this about 3 months before xmas. I used it for a couple of gigs in some quite big venues, and on first impressions I wasnt too impressed with the overal tone of the amp. The low ends were nice and powerful, very warm, but the overall clarity was quite muffled.
I done a bit of research, and decided to re-BIAS the amp using the controls on the back. I done exactly what it said in the manual, left it to power up for 20mins, got the lights right etc........and to be fair the sound improved quite a lot.
After a few more weeks of gigs, a really annoying crackling sound started to come out of the speaker, so I took it back to the shop. They had to send the head back to Ampeg where they took 3 MONTHS to repair it. After many phone calls I finally got it back, and after 2 gigs the head messed up again, fault lights flashing, no sound....
I took it back to the shop and got a re-fund on the head.....but kept the cab, as this is a proper piece of gear.....tested it with other heads...sounds lovely!
It was quite dissapointing, as when you purchase a brand like Ampeg you expect better service & quality! I know they make the new heads out in Vietnam now, whether that has anything to do with it, or whether I just had a cursed head I dont know, but its put me off Ampeg, which is a shame...

For the record I use a Fender Jazz 75' re-issue, and a Music Man Stingray 4.....and I am using my old head the Trace Elliot Quatra Valve at present, which is a lovely sounding amp I might add :)

I am going to try out the EBS FAFNER in a few days, I have read nothing but good things on this head....so quite interested to see what it's like!! Anyone used one at all?

[quote name='JackLeRipper' post='430511' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:12 PM']It was quite dissapointing, as when you purchase a brand like Ampeg you expect better service & quality! I know they make the new heads out in Vietnam now, whether that has anything to do with it, or whether I just had a cursed head I dont know, but its put me off Ampeg, which is a shame...[/quote]

A pity because Ampeg's reputation used to be built on bulletproof reliability and good customer service. Try a search on Talkbass for plenty of stories of how it's all gone to crap since the company was bought out by LOUD.

There's no reason why a Vietnamese or Chinese made product should be poorer quality than a European or USA made one but sadly I think it reflects the philosophy of the parent company that Ampeg have fallen so far.

well if ya got a quatra valve....... I'd look at getting an SVT-VR or better still look for an old Ampeg SVTII- I bought one('91 model) & it's been an absolute brute of a workhorse for over 3 yrs now- its THE amp when I need anything-headroom, reliabilty, power, punch, beautiful baqss that SITS in mix perfectly...... I could go ON & on &.....