Why become a member? ×

Skier's Thumb

tombboy

Many years ago when playing football (goalkeeper) I injured my right thumb quite badly and required an operation. Basically I was able to bend it in a way that it shouldn't bend.... backwards over the joint. This 'reflux' never actually healed and I have carried this condition for about 13 years now.

It never really hampered any aspect of my bass playing until the last year or so when I have noticed a 'cramping sensation in the joint and surrounding tissue. The feeling would wear off after a few songs so I thought nothing of it... just increase some warm ups'

However, on Saturday we played and after two songs I had lost all feeling in my hand and also had a golf ball sized lump of fluid appear on the back of my hand between my thumb and forefinger. It was agony.

Went to see my GP who immediately diagnosed 'Skiers Thumb' which is commonly seen in (guess what?) skiers and goalkeepers. Basically, I have no 'ulnar co-lateral ligament' which attaches the thumb to the joint. He pointed me in the direction of a company called PSB who manufacture a thumb brace specifically for this type of injury. It arrived this morning and I've just completed a solid hour on the bass without even a twinge!! God I wish I'd discovered the brace years ago!! I might have to adjust my style very slightly as I keep inadvertantly playing the 'E' string with the webbing on the strap.

Edited by tombboy