Why become a member? ×

Wiring an 8x10 as 2 4x10s

Mr. Foxen

In two columns of 4 vertical speakers. Haha, I see at least one of Bassferret, Claber and BFM coming into this thread to suggest that.

Anyway, I have an Ashdown 8x10 that is 4 ohm, and was thinking that if I put an Ampeg style thing into it, so I can run it as two 4x10s and can run both my lower powered valve heads that only do down to 8 ohms into it. So clean into my 18 for dub lows, with dirty and filthy on the other two. What sort of switch would I need, so I could still run as standard, and general thoughts on this plan?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='426571' date='Mar 5 2009, 01:58 PM']In two columns of 4 vertical speakers. Haha, I see at least one of Bassferret, Claber and BFM coming into this thread to suggest that.[/quote] It doesn't matter, it won't sound any different. The fault with an 8x10 lies in having drivers side by side, not in how they're wired.

[quote]Anyway, I have an Ashdown 8x10 that is 4 ohm, and was thinking that if I put an Ampeg style thing into it, so I can run it as two 4x10s and can run both my lower powered valve heads that only do down to 8 ohms into it.[/quote]Unlike SS valve heads have no minimum impedance load, they have a maximum impedance load. Your proposed mod is probably more trouble than it's worth.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='426617' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:01 PM']It doesn't matter, it won't sound any different. The fault with an 8x10 lies in having drivers side by side, not in how they're wired.

Unlike SS valve heads have no minimum impedance load, they have a maximum impedance load. Your proposed mod is probably more trouble than it's worth.[/quote]

Not sure you've understood what I'm planning there. Plan is to wire it as two sets of 4 speakers, with seperate inputs. The fact that they are in the same enclosure might defeat some of the 'advantages' of the 4 vertically arranged layout though. Two seperate heads going into them. The vertical part only occured to me as I was posting it and imagining being told I should bin in and buy 2 2x10s and put them end on end. The ampeg style 2 square 4x10s is fine with me really. Not sure if there is a divide inside this as I haven't taken it apart.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='426626' date='Mar 5 2009, 03:12 PM']The fact that they are in the same enclosure might defeat some of the 'advantages' of the 4 vertically arranged layout though.[/quote]
There are no advantages to four vertical drivers when there are four more adjacent to them.