Why become a member? ×

Anthony Jackson pedal sound

Normski

I’m a big fan of the great Anthony Jackson as many of us are. 
I particularly like his sound on I’m every woman Chaka Khan. There seems to be conflicting views about which effects he was using as in Flanger or Phase or Chorus. Maybe he was using a bit of all of them. 
If anyone could shed some light on this I would be extremely grateful. 

5 hours ago, Normski said:

I’m a big fan of the great Anthony Jackson as many of us are. 
I particularly like his sound on I’m every woman Chaka Khan. There seems to be conflicting views about which effects he was using as in Flanger or Phase or Chorus. Maybe he was using a bit of all of them. 
If anyone could shed some light on this I would be extremely grateful. 

Bass on "I'm every Woman" was Will Lee. As I recall he used a rackmounted MXR doubler/delay set for a flanger setting. Absolutely awesome sound, I'm still chasing it myself😁

35 minutes ago, Normski said:

Wow yeah your correct! I always presumed it was Anthony Jackson. However I’ve been a big fan of Will Lee for sometime. Ever since those early Brecker brothers albums. 
Thanks @lee650 for your reply & knowledge.

I always thought it was Anthony because of the flange. But Will Lee used chorus/flange a lot in his 70s recordings. I'm a huge fan of Will and im still trying to recreate his tone on Randy Crawford's "I hope you'll be very unhappy without me" beautiful singing tone. Nearest I've got was the flanger setting on my old EBS unichorus.

I read an interview with Will,where he mentioned Willie Weeks contacted him,to talk through the use of effects. Willie Weeks flanged/choruses Bass work, was also features on Chaka Khan records.

Anthony's tone on "Clouds" though 😍😍😍

14 hours ago, lee650 said:

I always thought it was Anthony because of the flange. But Will Lee used chorus/flange a lot in his 70s recordings. I'm a huge fan of Will and im still trying to recreate his tone on Randy Crawford's "I hope you'll be very unhappy without me" beautiful singing tone. Nearest I've got was the flanger setting on my old EBS unichorus.

I read an interview with Will,where he mentioned Willie Weeks contacted him,to talk through the use of effects. Willie Weeks flanged/choruses Bass work, was also features on Chaka Khan records.

Anthony's tone on "Clouds" though 😍😍😍

Yeah that’s exactly why I thought it was Anthony. Should have read the credits on the lp sleeve. Hell I’ve owned it since it came out. 
I’ll check out the Randy Crawford track. Loved those early albums by her especially Secret Combination. Most admit my search for that sound from a pedal has been narrowed down to the EBS Unichorus. Not sure if I should go for the newer studio edition.

Willie Weeks...well what can we say about him another monster player. 
Every bass player should be made to listen to Anthony’s playing & sound on Chaka’s Clouds.