Why become a member? ×

String for a VMJ...

Buzz

Right, as much as I loathe asking opinions on strings as it's very much a personal preferences thing, I do need some suggestions.

I'm currently playing my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, lovely bass, albeit the pups are a bit on the bassy dark side, and currently swapping out the pups isn't an option.

At the moment I've got Status Hotwire Grounds on it (45-105), which while quite nice to play, really don't help when I'm playing with others as it's just a rumbly lowend with the tone fully open, it's lacking a bit of midrange punchy grunt. It's not the fault of the strings, it's just the pups emphasing the lows seemingly at the expense of everything else, doesn't help that I'm playing though a borrowed practice amp either.

I'm hoping to migitate this with strings, and it's where you rabble come in, I'm after strings that are [u]not[/u] bright and zingy with top end ala EBMM Slinkies (which have been on and off), or out and out bassy strings (most flats), but I still want the playability and ease of use.

I remember having good sounding results with Rotosound Nickels on it, but they came off as apart from being a bit stiff, I wasn't a fan of how rough they were (or at least, I remember them being).

So I suppose I'm kind of looking for strings that have a good midrange while retaining playability, anyone care to offer suggestions?

DR Sunbeams might be the way to go.I've tried 4 or 5 different makes on my Spunky Jazz and to my ears they give me the best tone.They feel very nice under the fingers too.
Saying that though i did'nt get on with slinky's until i tried a hybrid set on my Ibby Blazer last week.They're keepers on that bass for sure.

Edited by kennyrodg