Why become a member? ×

Live Kitten Cake set from Bar Rumba 21st Feb 2009

jmstone

My band's first ever gig last night at Bar Rumba went pretty well - managed to get 40 of our friends and family along, so pretty happy about that. It was a real buzz.. Can't wait to do it again!

There were a ton of mistakes all the way through. Lots of (very) bad mistakes on the bass courtesy of me!! We stopped without playing the bridge or the last chorus of the first song (well I played the first note of it!). Also, after our soundcheck, the band before us moved all the mics and probably changed the volumes on the guitar amps, so when we came on the guitar was really low, and various other problems.. However, I was pretty happy overall, and we had a very forgiving crowd! ;) I just wish we had sounded as good on the performance as we did on the soundcheck (we did a note perfect version of our first song)..

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts about our songs - what's good, what we could do better etc..

I uploaded the songs to our myspace page:

[url="http://myspace.com/kittencakeband"]http://myspace.com/kittencakeband[/url]

James

Edited by jmstone

[quote name='Eight' post='417040' date='Feb 22 2009, 11:19 PM']Kitten Cake is a cool name - BUT - after misreading the subject line, I've decided Live Kitten Cake is even better.

Will give the songs a listen though anyway. :P[/quote]

Haha! Yeh.. Sorry if the title was not worded very well. Live Kitten Cake is definitely a good name. At one point we were almost called "the flaming kittens", but in the end decided Kitten Cake was more ambiguous and possibly sinister, depending on your mind! ;)

Be interested to know what you think of the songs (and suggestions for the bass sound - which was mixed too loud in my opinion, and also just dialed in in 3 seconds on my Warwick Stremer.. I'm wondering if a bit of extra "grit" might be good?)

James

I think the bass and vocals sound good. The drum sound is horrible but the volume is ok... guitar lacks presence in some of the recordings though.

I'm no mixer etc. those are just my thoughts. What I do know, is that recording live is not easy at all. So get in the damn studio and let's hear the real thing.

Those are originals are then? I really like the songwriting and style. You sound like a band I'd really enjoy seeing live - quirky.

"Back into your box boy" <- great title. Lol.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='417889' date='Feb 23 2009, 09:32 PM']I think the bass and vocals sound good. The drum sound is horrible but the volume is ok... guitar lacks presence in some of the recordings though.

I'm no mixer etc. those are just my thoughts. What I do know, is that recording live is not easy at all. So get in the damn studio and let's hear the real thing.

Those are originals are then? I really like the songwriting and style. You sound like a band I'd really enjoy seeing live - quirky.

"Back into your box boy" <- great title. Lol.[/quote]

Thanks for listening!

We didn't have any control over the mix - the sound guy at the venue did it. I was really chuffed as he let me record straight from the desk onto my mp3 player tho!

The drums were pretty shot - the bass drum sounded a bit weak - then we noticed the back skin was completely ripped!

Glad you liked the songs. They are pretty much 50/50 either my songs or Candice's (the singer). We are planning another gig maybe sometime in March. Would be great if you can make it!

Oh, and I agree about the recording studio idea - once we manage to scrape enough together between us we will do it!

James

[quote name='jmstone' post='418061' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:57 AM']Glad you liked the songs. They are pretty much 50/50 either my songs or Candice's (the singer). We are planning another gig maybe sometime in March. Would be great if you can make it![/quote]
I'm at the other end of the country, but I'll give you a shout next time I'm in London, fingers crossed the dates will match with when you're playing.

Failing that, studio first then UK tour. ;)