Why become a member? ×

Fender USA 1975 Jazz Bass Re-issue

sammybee

It's a USA made, 1999 reissue of the 1975 Jazz bass as the name suggests. As far as I can tell, all features are period correct. 3 bolt neck, bullet truss rod, 1970's pickup spacing, ash body, maple neck and finger board with black block inlays.

I traded this for a Marcus Miller (Jap) Jazz (and a tiny bit of cash) - which build wise, is a very similar bass a few years ago. It's my main recording bass now, and earned its place in my studio as I have thinned the herd to this and one other bass (Stingray). I also stumbled across one of the last (new) Badass Bridges and a East J-Retro Pre-amp which I fitted. These upgrades are non-destructive and you can just replace the originals if you want to resell. It's come full-circle, but I don't have to put up with that f-ugly MM scratch plate.

What's it like to play? Well if you like to stand-up and play - forget it! It must weigh at least 11lbs and even with a nice MONO strap it get a bit uncomfortable after 10 mins! As I just use it for recording at home, it balances nicely sitting down. The neck is very comfortable with a poly finish, fairly slim - if you like/are used to Jazzes you'll get on well with one of these.

What does it sound like ? Like a Marcus Miller, but on Steroids...with the J-retro East pickup fitted. The 1970's pickup spacing gives it that characteristic 70's jazz sound too. Sounds great in passive mode too.

What does it feel like? Very high quality. The Japanese Marcus Miller I had was exceptionally well put together, but this raises it up another level. Everything on it fits perfectly, and it just feels right to play.

What does it look like? It looks like it was stolen from Marcus Millers hands!

Would I buy another? Yes! Although I could of saved a few quid by keeping my Marcus Miller (and ended up with a very similar flavoured bass), this is a 'forever' bass that will not leave me.

• Like 2