Why become a member? ×

Home Recording

big cat

I believe a DI is perfect for recording. You'll have GarageBand as part of your Mac installation - and as much as I don't like the thing, I've heard a lot of decent tracks come out of it so you might as well start there.

You'll want a little USB/Firewire audio interface. You might want a keyboard/digital piano/trigger pads etc. depending on what you're going to be doing.

What are you aiming to achieve?

[quote name='Eight' post='416009' date='Feb 21 2009, 10:28 AM']I believe a DI is perfect for recording. You'll have GarageBand as part of your Mac installation - and as much as I don't like the thing, I've heard a lot of decent tracks come out of it so you might as well start there.

You'll want a little USB/Firewire audio interface. You might want a keyboard/digital piano/trigger pads etc. depending on what you're going to be doing.

What are you aiming to achieve?[/quote]

Hi, Eight.

Thank you very much.

I just want to record my bass and mix it into other tracks for fun.

However, i asked the guy in my local guitar shop, they told me i can not use a normal DI to record, they told me i need something like a LINE 6 POD Studio UX1. I don't know what is it. They said i can use a cable connect it with my bass and then use USB to connect the POD to laptop.

I was wondering wether i can just use my amp and a MXR M80 DI to record?

You can send that DI straight into the line/mic in on your macbook (with a [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mono-3-5mm-6-35mm-Socket-Adapter/dp/B000LATJC4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235225810&sr=8-2"]1/4'' to1/8'' mono adapter[/url])

Not as good as a USB or firewire interface but it'll get you started with little outlay....

[quote name='big cat' post='416149' date='Feb 21 2009, 02:02 PM']However, i asked the guy in my local guitar shop, they told me i can not use a normal DI to record, they told me i need something like a LINE 6 POD Studio UX1. I don't know what is it. They said i can use a cable connect it with my bass and then use USB to connect the POD to laptop.[/quote]
They're just trying to flog you extra gear.

The PODs are kind of an audio interface, DI and effects suite in one package. Personally, I'd try OldG's suggestion about using the line/mic in first and then look at getting a half decent (but cheap) audio interface. I have a feeling the Pods are a bit guitar specific, whereas a good interface would be more flexible.

Apologies if I'm underestimating the PODs, I've not actually used one first hand.