Why become a member? ×

Resale Value

Robin UK

Hi, basically, i'm in the market for selling one of my basses as i really want a 5 string version of a very similar bass which is on sale second hand in a local shop. However when i asked how much they wanted to mark up the price in trade (which i asssumed wouldn't be much as they're not losing out, and i think they were fairly similar value new), they wanted a fairly conciderable sum of money on top of my 4 string. Due to this, i put a feeler out for my 4 string on here, but didn't know where to pitch the price, and after going just abit higher than what the shop offered me for it, i did some research and took some advice from another poster that i was selling a high end bass at nearly half it's orignal value, and am now rethinking what i'm asking for the bass.

This prompted my main question: What percentage of value should you sell a used bass at? Obviously different models and levels of customisation hold value better or worse, and condition is a factor, but for an average high end, (say over £750), known bass, in good condition (no chips etc.), what would you resell it at?

Just interested in your opinions,

Robin

Edited by Robin UK

Resale value is not determined by new price, its determined by the market. Generally, I won't consider something at more than 2/3 of new price, as I value warranty and such. If it is something I specifically want and would consider buying new, then I might go 3/4, but this is rare, most of my purchases are GAS fueled.

Remember shops are in the business of making money rather than increasing the value of their stock. If they got little money for the trade, they'd not be againing anything other than a slighty less desirable bass (one person specifically doesn't want it, whereas the bass they have one person specifically does want).

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='414840' date='Feb 19 2009, 10:50 PM']Resale value is not determined by new price, its determined by the market. Generally, I won't consider something at more than 2/3 of new price, as I value warranty and such. If it is something I specifically want and would consider buying new, then I might go 3/4, but this is rare, most of my purchases are GAS fueled.

Remember shops are in the business of making money rather than increasing the value of their stock. If they got little money for the trade, they'd not be againing anything other than a slighty less desirable bass (one person specifically doesn't want it, whereas the bass they have one person specifically does want).[/quote]

+1

Bass gear goes in and out of fashion much like anything else, so the value of a particular item will vary with when you're selling. You seem to see it more with amps than basses, but Markbass is particularly in demand at the moment and commands high resale prices - other brands with similar retail prices can sink like a rock when you want sell them.

Totally depends on the bass, and who's buying.

It's criminal, in my opinion, that older neck-through Warwicks go so cheap. I got a '91 Thumb for under £700 - it sold for the best part of a grand and a half when it was new, to me it's worth that or more now, it's an amazing bass. It's considerably better than any of the new ones I've played.

But then you look at Fenders, and you get '70s Fenders selling for a grand. Half of the guitars Fender built in the '70s were total dogs, and half of these '70s Fenders for sale aren't entirely original.

There's no sense to it. It's all about who wants to pay what when you want to sell.

What bass are you selling?

And ....

What was true a year ago, (well 14 months ago, seeing as we've just had the anniversary of the Northern Rock debacle) is not true now ..

In normal times a bass is probably worth half the -current- real retail (not RRP) for the same model or as close as you can find, unless it's very special.
Customs will vary with how weird it is .. a 7 string fretless shortscale in pink glitter will have a limited market, no matter how fine an instrument it is ...

Do "recently sold" check on ebay and on here and then punt it up.

These days you may just have to get what you can for it.
If you need to get a certain amou8nt to afford your GAS bass then put it up attat figure and see what happens ...