Why become a member? ×

Silicones in wax

dickandjill

Hi
I've just refinished my bass with Nitrocellulose and am now waiting a few weeks for it to harden off before flatting and polishing. I've seen it mentioned to avoid wax polish containing silicon. Why is this?
I was considering using Turtle Wax Original Super Hard Shell but this has silicones in it. How come its ok for car use but not guitars when the car may have been finished in cellulose paint?
Thanks
Richard

At the painting stage, avoid using silicone full stop.Once the paint has cured, flatten the finish using your chosen compound, then step down to a finer finishing compound, then use a glaze to finish. Using a wax or polish at the last stage traps the natural gassing process and could cloud your finish. Some say wait 90 days before using a wax or polish.
Kind regards
Stuart
[quote name='dickandjill' post='410375' date='Feb 15 2009, 08:02 PM']How can it soak into the wood if its got over 10 coats of nitrocellulose?[/quote]

Hi Stuart
I finished spraying the nitro today and now plan to leave it for 3 weeks to harden.
I have read that I should flatten with wet and dry 800# then progress up to 1200# then rubbing compound then wax.
The finish is pretty good at the moment very shiny and very little "orange peel"
From what you've written would I get away without the wet and dry? just using rubbing compound instead.
Also what do you mean by a "glaze" ? Should I not use wax then?
I've never refinished a guitar before so this is all new to me
Cheers
Richard

[quote name='binman' post='410535' date='Feb 15 2009, 10:18 PM']At the painting stage, avoid using silicone full stop.Once the paint has cured, flatten the finish using your chosen compound, then step down to a finer finishing compound, then use a glaze to finish. Using a wax or polish at the last stage traps the natural gassing process and could cloud your finish. Some say wait 90 days before using a wax or polish.
Kind regards
Stuart[/quote]

Edited by dickandjill

[quote name='dickandjill' post='410549' date='Feb 15 2009, 10:29 PM']Hi Stuart
I finished spraying the nitro today and now plan to leave it for 3 weeks to harden.
I have read that I should flatten with wet and dry 800# then progress up to 1200# then rubbing compound then wax.
The finish is pretty good at the moment very shiny and very little "orange peel"
From what you've written would I get away without the wet and dry? just using rubbing compound instead.
Also what do you mean by a "glaze" ? Should I not use wax then?
I've never refinished a guitar before so this is all new to me
Cheers
Richard[/quote]
Hi Richard
You would use the wet and dry to knock out the orange peel, but if your finish is already quite good I would skip the wet and dry and go to the compound stage. The compounding stage serves the purpose of flattening the marks left by the wet and dry stages, so I would use a light compound polish . After this, you could leave the finish alone for a few months or use a glaze( a glaze is just a polish without abrasives and silicones) After you have left the finish you can use the wax of your choice. Remember if you use a polish, some polishes can be abrasive and inflict micromarring/scratches.
Hope this helps a bit
Kind regards
Stuart