Why become a member? ×

replacement bridge for Japan '54 reissue 'blue flower' bass

Wylie

Hello, mates, I'm not of the UK, new to this site and relatively new to playing the bass, coming over from guitar. I recently traded in my short-scale Squier for a Fender CIJ '54 reissue P-bass, the 'flower power' design, and I may want to replace the 2-saddle bridge, which is a string-through, three-screw unit. I've read pros and cons of Badass bridges and suggestions for Gotohs. Has anyone swapped out this particular bass that can recommend a good change?

[quote name='tedgilley' post='409499' date='Feb 14 2009, 03:47 PM']Hello, mates, I'm not of the UK, new to this site and relatively new to playing the bass, coming over from guitar. I recently traded in my short-scale Squier for a Fender CIJ '54 reissue P-bass, the 'flower power' design, and I may want to replace the 2-saddle bridge, which is a string-through, three-screw unit. I've read pros and cons of Badass bridges and suggestions for Gotohs. Has anyone swapped out this particular bass that can recommend a good change?[/quote]

if its string through you dont need a hi mass bridge...you have the body doing all the work on that score
for intonation on each saddle i would only go for a later similar bridge as fitted on early precisions with through body stringing

if you dont like t.b.s. ;)

then the badass is a possibility..

but i feel that would be inferior to the t.b.s. concept which doesnt need a bridge than for just supporting the strings at the saddles and offering adjustment for action and intonation
basically what you have
if your intonation criteria really necessitates individual string adjustment then suggestion above applies and retains the retro look of the instrument

hi mass and t.b.i. arent needed at the same time

cheers

Edited by mrcrow