Why become a member? ×

Broken Pickup

stewblack

Hi, feeling just a little bit smug having correctly diagnosed and fixed a fault with my semi acoustic bass. Less smug about having taken the whole thing apart which I really didn't need to do. 

Anyway it's back in one piece with functioning pups. My question is can anything be done with the broken pup? 

Are they repairable? 

Sometimes they can break at the eyelets where the wires connect to the coil winding which can be repaired.  If there's a break or a short in the coil then they can be re-wound - remove the coil wires and wind a new coil - but there's no guarantee that it will sound the same afterwards.  Someone who has the right knowledge and experience might get pretty close...

2 hours ago, Bassalarky said:

Sometimes they can break at the eyelets where the wires connect to the coil winding which can be repaired.  If there's a break or a short in the coil then they can be re-wound - remove the coil wires and wind a new coil - but there's no guarantee that it will sound the same afterwards.  Someone who has the right knowledge and experience might get pretty close...

Okey doke. Its not a big deal as I was probably going to drop a Retrovibe pup or two in there anyway. And the one I used actually sounds fine