Why become a member? ×

Truss rod query...

warwickhunt

I've recently sold an 87 Warwick JD Thumb bass and the new owner has decided to tweak the truss rod (personal preference not for any major issue). I never needed to adjust the rod whilst I owned it so I'd never investigated the truss rod end but it appears that there is a problem getting the correct tool for the job! A 'normal' hex truss rod tool isn't fitting or having any affect. The new owner has sent me a pic of the end of the truss rod to see if I can help but I'm a bit stumped.

Question - is there a different tool for adjusting truss rods (other than a hex/allen key) or has anyone any similar experiences?

[quote name='deksawyer' post='405895' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:47 PM']We need a bigger picture!!

D.[/quote]

Just got this from the guy and I have to say looking at the close up myself, that looks like someone has been too enthusiastic with a 'normal' hex tool in the past! ;)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='405952' date='Feb 11 2009, 07:50 AM']Uh-oh. That's a problem. Looks like someone didn't have the proper size allen key, or the rod was sticking a bit.
Somehow a slot might need cutting in it, then you can get a big screwdriver in there and turn it.[/quote]

I think you could be right and the problem [u]could[/u] have been as a result of someone not being aware that 'some' early Warwick truss rods turn the opposite way to normal (i.e. righty/tighty... lefty/loosty is NOT how some early ones work).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='407006' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:39 PM']I think you could be right and the problem [u]could[/u] have been as a result of someone not being aware that 'some' early Warwick truss rods turn the opposite way to normal (i.e. righty/tighty... lefty/loosty is NOT how some early ones work).[/quote]
Thank God we won the war, eh?