Why become a member? ×

Jazz Pickups

Sparky

Eazzzy all!

Looking to pimp my Jazz with some new pickups... thing is - i don't really know what i'm looking for. No idea what's in there already - they're just the pups that came with the bass. It's a 62RI MIJ Fender Jazz. Ideally I'm after more sensitivity and response for my fingerstyle - pups that'll bring forward the muted / ghost notes and give the full notes more presence & clarity - need to cut though more! Don't have much of a budget really - maybe £40-50 for some second hand goodies. Any suggestions as to what i should be looking out for in the BC marketplace would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sparky. ;)

p.s. is there already a thread outlining the properties of different pickup brands and models?

ah yeh, cheers mr.tinman.

seen the name 'wizard' banded about alright (always associated it with 'thumper' - but as i can see from the link - that's the P-bass pup hey). Anyway, I'd just assumed they'd be out of my league (price-wise) because of all the love, but turns out they're not all that dear - cheaper than Seymour Duncan's anyway. i'll definitely keep an eye out for a second hand pair - i assume age makes no difference? (seeing as vintage pups are sought after?).

one more thing - when talking pups - what do the terms 'hot' and 'stacked' mean? ;)

[quote name='Tinman' post='405431' date='Feb 10 2009, 03:19 PM']If you save a little bit more cash you could get a pair of wizards (they're raved about on here) :P

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass[/url][/quote]

[quote name='Sparky' post='405704' date='Feb 10 2009, 09:06 PM']one more thing - when talking pups - what do the terms 'hot' and 'stacked' mean? ;)[/quote]

Hot means the pickup's higher output, normally acheived with more windings or more powerful magnets. The more windings you have on a coil the louder it gets but at the cost of some high end. More powerful magnets (such as ceramics) are thought to have a harsher tone compared to 'old fashioned' magnets. Also, if your magnet is too powerful it will actually hold the strings back from vibrating, giving reduced output and some harsh overtones.Stacked means a humbucker but instead of being layed side by side like a traditional humbucker the two coils are stacked one on top of the other. This is meant to give the advantages of a clear, bright single coil sound but without the hum. They generally work OK but are more complicated (so probably more expensive) and don't have quite the brightness of true single coils.

Now all you 'experts' can shoot me down in flames and tell me how wrong I am.

I use a Schaller J in my bridge position and it has a very nice clear, sweet tone. They're not too pricey either.