Why become a member? ×

How to make a PROFESSIONAL fret levelling, recrowning and setup in 11 lessons !

Hellzero

Because I'm fed up with self called luthiers, here are 11 "lessons" on how to make a real PROFESSIONAL fret levelling, recrowning and setup using the Erlewine bench jig.

I'm not at all affiliated to Erlewine, but his bench jig (especially the new one) is a fantastic tool, very well thought.

Here is the presentation of the new model :

And now the 11 lessons (part one being the presentation of the faulty guitar) :

• Thanks 2

Thanks @nilebodgers for that discussion that clearly shows that you can't make a proper frets levelling without having the neck under the strings tension.

The debate is wether the simulated tension is as accurate as the real tension.

There are other bench jigs than the Erlewine model with more plungers and even more accurate simulation. Luthiers often build their own bench jig.

In fact, it's all about mastering the simulated tension and the radius of the neck, just like the Plek machine : if badly used, it's, urm, useless.

Being a fretless player, I can tell you that very few luthiers are able to do a perfect fretboard levelling or more precely dressing. If I talk about differential dressing, to date, I only know two knowing what it is and able to it !?!

And I've owned priceless basses with factory fücked up fretboard dressing or frets levelling.

Very sad, but so true.