Why become a member? ×

Replacing speakon input on cab & making speakon to jack cables

super.rad

A few months ago my amp started playing up, I finally tracked the problem to the speakon input on the back of the cab (Kustom 4x10). When you plug the cable from the head into the cab theres room for it to wobble about slightly and it's now got to the point where I have to tape it into position or the sound cuts out occasionally. I have tested with 3 speakon cables and all are doing the same and they all fit tightly into the output plug on the amp so it's definatley the input plug. I'm guessing this has just worn down from general use (I'm the 3rd owner of the amp)
I've taken the back off the cab to have a look and it looks pretty simple to de-solder the plug and then just solder a new one on (have quite a bit of practice soldering so confident enough to do that myself). Just wanted to ask here first to make sure I wasnt about to mess anything up. All I need is a 4 pole speakon plug, correct?
[url="http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/super_rad/P250109_103202.jpg"][/url]
The left is the input (not that you can see any difference between the 2)
[url="http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/super_rad/P250109_103302.jpg"][/url]
The speakon plugs are the top 2 pieces.
Assuming all I need is a normal 4 pole speakon plug I will order 1 from maplin soon, but in the meantime I have an old jack cable and a spare speakon cable so was planning to take an end off each and make 2 speakon to jack cables to use but have 2 quick questions:
1. I'm pretty sure it's +1 to tip and -1 to sleeve, am I right?
2. Is there any difference between speaker and instrument cable? Just wanted to check as the speakon cable says speaker cable on it and the jack cable says instrument cable, although both look the same inside, just 2 wires.
Thanks

EDIT: Done some more research and found out the difference between speaker and instrument cable so won't be making a 2nd speakon to jack lead out of the old guitar cable!

Edited by super.rad

Sorry to double post but can someone confirm if it is a 2 pole or 4 pole speakon socket in the pictures as I need to order this asap. Thanks

EDIT: Only just thought to have a look on the kustom website for owner manual's for the cab, found this [url="http://www.kustom.com/Content/20083/Owners_Manual_G410H_16JAN2007.pdf"]Kustom Groove G410H Manual[/url] and from the wiring diagram it looks like it is a 4 pole but only 2 are used, is that correct?

EDIT: Remembered there's a PA hire company in town so went to see them and he made me a speakon to jack cable and gave me a 4 pole speakon socket all for £10 so sorted now.

Edited by super.rad