Why become a member? ×

hello

harryharold

hello all,

i'm harry from snowy somerset via snowy london for the last 4 years (really should just say that i'm from london but i won't give in).

i've been bassing continuously for the last 6-7 years since my mid teens and basically love it to bits. have played in any different ways in many different bands and have got pretty damned geeky on the whole subject, so it seems a bass forum should be my natural home.

my current set up is my beloved homebuilt bass into a littlemark 250 then a ashdown abm410. also i've currently caught the pedal bug off of my guitarist (highly infectious) and now own (just) a bassballs with a constant [s]desire[/s] need to get more, and more, and more, and more. will get pictures of rig soon, possibly following the finding of a camera

currently playing in a little band called blacksea (http://www.myspace.com/blacksea for a few proper sh*te demos) with uni mates and this strange thing that bashes sticks into drums.

my current nagging bass related topics on my mind and stopping me doing any work are
1) sansamp BDDI or aguilar tone hammer or other???
2) how can i get/clone an ampeg scrambler for little money???
3) when am i going to get around to building the jazzbass copy with a fretless status graphite neck that i've been planning for 3 years???
4) when am i going to recarve the neck on my home built guitar??? (sorry not bass related)

cheers

harry

oh yeh and i'm left handed

it seems this begining post is a little vague so i'll add a little depth.....

bass playing career started on an old broken accoustic guitar which i played bass parts on to accompany my brother as he played led zeppelin tunes. he then mentioned that i should play some jamiroqui tune cause they were cool like. this eventually to me getting a bass for my birthday (washburn bantam - which was brilliant as it was cheap and not either a squire or a yamaha which i detested at that point because i was a snob). this then developed to school when i was jamming with a friend and the music teacher said i should try and play with the jazz band (i played the horn in the orchestra so he stupidly assumed i could sight read when playing bass - the fool). i got face with a big page of dots and got it all wrong but somehow he said that it sounded like the opposite, haha i thought, this jazz m'larkey is well easy, just play anything and it works ( i now realise that this only works if charlie parker had previously played the same anything).

actually this description of my bass playing career is taking ages so i'll stop.

but the most important bit is about the bass i bult which i did when iwas 15 and was too skint to buy something new so just thought i build one, it can't be too hard. it wasn't but the 5 string fretless was well heavy, awfully balanced, almost impossible to play and look a little bit stupid. but 2 years later after a new body, 2 neck recarves, frets, refrets, more refrets and its beautiful, and mine, i even mixed my blood with the glue holding it together, for the soul like.

oh think i may have some pictures of it in its original state, i'll look