Why become a member? ×

Peavey megabox 1x15 2x8 issues

adamsbedford

Did the 2x8 section stop working abruptly or did you hear any rough noises before it stopped for good?

If it just quietly failed, then you need to check the wiring from the input socket and on via the crossover (probably on the reverse side of the rear connection panel) through to the 2x8 section. Loose wires or broken connections/solder joints. Possibly a component failure on the crossover.

If you heard rough noises and or there is a scraping roughness when you push the 8" cones in & out, then you may have more damage then dodgy connections.

I'm sure there'll be more contributors later with more expertise than me, but as a start it's "get your screwdrivers out time".

PS. CHANGE YOUR FORUM NAME PRONTO. YOU'RE IN THE PUBLIC OPEN SPACE BEYOND BASSCHAT SO YOUR E-MAIL IS VISIBLE IN ANY SEARCH FOR "PEAVEY".   MODS.

All of the above

but from photo and crap around panel start with some contact cleaner or WD if you don't have that and spray a jack plug with it,  and wang it in and out of each of those jack sockets several times. wipe the jack on a clean rag each time will show you how much dirt these collect. This goes for amps with jack sockets as well, air movement created from you speakers sucks dust into jack sockets and dirty the contacts, the contacts can also get weak over time and lose their finish and then tarnish and create high resistance in the scratches the jacks make. so try that first and if no joy and you have a meter handy set to ohms or Contact the setting that buzzes when shorted and check the closed contacts are actually making. I have owned one of these (great cabs) and the cross over relies on contact when no jacks are plugged in to that part.

If you are bi amping ( using two amps one high one low ) you will be running two cables to woofer and the 8"'s and this is not an issue

but sounds like this could be it

Edited by deepbass5

I don't know if you are still following this Adam. 

good suggestion from @deepbass5 if you can run full range or split there has to be some switching operated by the jack plugs and given some of the muck you can see on that input the contacts may well be not working.

If you still have problems then I would always work back from the speakers, You'll need to get inside or remove the 8's from the box. remove the wires from the speakers and apply a low power signal. I use the speaker leads from my hi fi, if the sound comes out undistorted then you know that they are working. Then check the leads inside the speaker, the crossover and finally the sockets on the back.