Why become a member? ×

30 minute practice regime?

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi all

I wonder if anyone could offer any advice, I am doing a lot of hours at work at the moment and have very little available time to practice before the neighbours complain that I'm playing too late (flimsy multi tennant building), so, could any one point me in the right direction for a thirty ish minute practice regime I can do every day to keep my hands in shape and develop technique etc, I dont read but maybe this would be a good time to start?

Any advice most gratefully received

I don't have this problem, mine's an EUB which also has a headphone socket. However, for a real DB, it sounds like you need some kind of mute.

[url="http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/categories/practice-mutes/products/ultra-double-bass-practice-mute"]http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/categories/...s-practice-mute[/url]

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='400711' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:52 AM']I don't have this problem, mine's an EUB which also has a headphone socket. However, for a real DB, it sounds like you need some kind of mute.

[url="http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/categories/practice-mutes/products/ultra-double-bass-practice-mute"]http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/categories/...s-practice-mute[/url][/quote]

Hi

Thanks for that but I have that mute and an NS EUB but I need hands on practice on my DB in normal gigging type volumes, I need more of a short daily technique practice regime to keep my hands an DB brain in shape rather than quiter practice, any advice folks?

Edited by subaudio

Those ultra practice mutes are very good practice tools anyway. Practice trying to get the same sound as when you play without the mute. Then when you play without it, the sound will be huge.

Practice-wise concentrate on technique. Pick a 3 octave scale and arpeggio, play it slowly in different permutations to practice nice slow shifts and intonation. Stop on certain notes and check the intonation against open strings, harmonics etc. Shifting on one string in 4ths, augmented 4ths, 5ths octaves etc. Stick the metronome on, slow tempo and pizz 1 in a bar, 2, 3 and so on. Then do the same incorporating different string crossings. The list is endless. Don't try and get through everything you can think of though, it's better to concentrate on just a few things in that half hour and do them very well rather than cram and get nowhere.

[quote name='subaudio' post='401052' date='Feb 5 2009, 02:14 PM']Cheers Chris, good stuff, i will deffinatley give them a go.

Anymore for anymore?[/quote]

+1 for chrkelly's comments. Furthermore, I'd recommend the John Goldsby "Jazz bass" book - he has a great chapter on the use of rehearsal/practice time, and a comprehensive list of topics to cover..

LB

Guest subaudio

Thanks all, great advice

I dug out that book as I already have it but forgot all about it, am having a good read through, it's a great book !
, Chris, top advice on the scales, I practiced a Gm7 scale and arpedgio all over the neck and on the same string for half an hour and really felt I got a lot of benefit from it, and it really helps with fingerboard knowledge, I practiced saying the notes out loud as I played them which was helpfull, I had a mini Jam afterwards with my workstation and felt a lot more fluid.

I had forgotten how important scale and arpedgio practice is, too buisy learning songs, the benefits of it were almost imediate.

Thanks again guys ;)

I've just started playing DB and I don't have a huge amount of time either. My 30-min practice involves going through some of the exercises in Ray Brown's book for 20 mins, then a quick run through a couple of easy-ish standards (Autumn Leaves and Favela are my current choice). As I get better I hope to run through some faster tunes but for now I'm doing well if I can get through these tunes with intonation reasonably intact!

Hope this helps

Guest subaudio

Cool, thanks for that, just been running through chord scales with a drum machine and a keyboard pad this week and it really has had a good effect, I really need to start reading practice too.

Edited by subaudio