Why become a member? ×

mustang bass pickup covers again

dickandjill

I've just had a pair of Fender Mustang plastic pickup covers arrive from Seymour Duncan to fit onto my "new" 1976 Mustang bass.
Only thing is they don't fit. They are about 3mm too long. The adjusting bolt holes don't line up and they won't fit through the pickguard.
Am I to presume from this, that the reissue Fender mustang basses have slightly longer pickups than original mustangs?
I don't want to start filing my pickguard to make them fit but even then the height adjustment bolts won't go in.
Looks like I'm back to square one.

This is really weird and I'm sorry I can't offer an answer. It may be worth asking BC members with mid '70s and those with recent re-issue Mustangs to measure the pickups/covers and spacing for the adjustments screws. The only explanation I can think of is that the re-issue pickups and covers have different dimensions to those on a '70s model but it would be good to have this confirmed.

As the seller of the bass, I'm pretty concerned. If it turns out that there's something strange/inauthentic about the Mustang in your possession, I'll undertake (publicly) to offer a refund.

Good idea Lawrence.
If anyone has a 70's Mustang could they possibly measure the pickups for me? I need the length of the part of the cover that comes through the hole in the scratchplate and also the centre to centre measurement of thread adjuster holes.Also if anyone with a reissue Mustang could do the same I would be most grateful.

My 76 Mustang has a scratchplate hole length of 40.5mm and a centre of hole to hole measurement of 49mm
The new pickup cover measures 43.5mm and 51mm respectively.

Thanks a lot
Richard

I just emailed an Ebay seller in the US who sells pickguards for US and CIJ Mustangs.
He states they are not interchangeable. Anyway I emailed him to see what the actual difference was.
The difference is that old Mustangs have smaller pickups! Puzzle solved!!
Anyway I now need a pair of older U.S. Mustang bass plastic pickup covers if anyone has any available I would be most grateful.

Edited by dickandjill

[quote name='dickandjill' post='402200' date='Feb 6 2009, 05:37 PM']I just emailed an Ebay seller in the US who sells pickguards for US and CIJ Mustangs.
He states they are not interchangeable. Anyway I emailed him to see what the actual difference was.
The difference is that old Mustangs have smaller pickups! Puzzle solved!!
Anyway I now need a pair of older U.S. Mustang bass plastic pickup covers if anyone has any available I would be most grateful.[/quote]

In one way, I'm very relieved to hear this. In another, I'm sorry - the quest goes on. I'll keep looking (in fact, I was looking whilst the bass was in my ownership but didn't find anything). I hope everything else is going well - it's a fantastic player!

[quote name='lozbass' post='402655' date='Feb 7 2009, 10:24 AM']In one way, I'm very relieved to hear this. In another, I'm sorry - the quest goes on. I'll keep looking (in fact, I was looking whilst the bass was in my ownership but didn't find anything). I hope everything else is going well - it's a fantastic player![/quote]

Yes still looking.
I'm very pleased with it though plays very nice. I love the TI jazz flats