Why become a member? ×

Yet another FLATS question.

xilddx

all bottom, no zing, no finger noise...

I've got mine on a fretted bass, so don't know how much bloom and mwaah they have... but they make my fretted acoustic bass sound more like a double bass than a big acoustic guitar... I hate phosphor bronze strings... too zingy, too much finger noise.

I tried Picato flats on it, but it was too dead... far more life with the LaBellas on it...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='399262' date='Feb 3 2009, 06:52 PM']all bottom, no zing, no finger noise...

I've got mine on a fretted bass, so don't know how much bloom and mwaah they have... but they make my fretted acoustic bass sound more like a double bass than a big acoustic guitar... I hate phosphor bronze strings... too zingy, too much finger noise.[/quote]

Go on.. bite the bullet.. get a double! My last car was a Punto, so you don't have to have an estate.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='399262' date='Feb 3 2009, 06:52 PM']I tried Picato flats on it, but it was too dead... far more life with the LaBellas on it...[/quote]

I'm on Picato flats these days, as they're the only folks I could persuade to make an odd custom set. 5-string headless flats? See:
[url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/3542"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/3542[/url]
I'm using a Crafter Congress 5FL with a head at the mo, so I'm using Picato 766 flats on that; thoroughly enjoying the tone:
[url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/4346"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/4346[/url]

May well give La Bella a try as well since we have some of those somewhere.
Anyone know who actually makes the Status strings?

[quote name='hubrad' post='399951' date='Feb 4 2009, 01:35 PM']Go on.. bite the bullet.. get a double! My last car was a Punto, so you don't have to have an estate.[/quote]

it's not the car that's the problem, I live three flights up with no lift and in a small flat... there's just no way of getting it up those stairs easily or storing it when not in play... I can hang my basses and guitars on the walls... can't with a DB.

a Double Bass would require finding a larger place to live in...

Very nice people at Status. Had to phone in the order yesterday afternoon and they arrived this morning. Long scale, single ball, black tapewound, 105 - 45.

They are very low tension compared to the La Bella Deeps I just took off, really flabby. My neck profile has changed a LOT. The E feels slightly lumpy, but they have so much zing! I thought they'd be as flat as a flounder. Haven't plugged in yet though.

They look ace!

Plugged in, my lord, they are so different to the LaBs. They are more "acoustic" in voice. Not much bass response but a lot of thin treble, slappy sounding, interesting. Some eq and compression and they were kinda cool. They feel very nice to play and my perception is they are more responsive but slightly more difficult to intonate accurately. Not sure what I think really but they do look lovely on my white Fender Jazz Special with the MightyMite ebanol fretboard with black hardware. For the look alone I want to get used to them, I'm sure Bilbo will find that morally abhorrent ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, taken of the Status black tapes, didn't get on with them.

I've put on a set of roundwound DR black beauties, job done. Shame they don't feel as nice as the tapes or flats, but bwoy, they sound good!

If anyone fancies trying the Status black tapes, PM me your address and I'll send them to you. They were on a Fender 4 a-side long scale peghead so they should fit most basses - .045 - .105.

Cheers.

[quote name='silddx' post='409402' date='Feb 14 2009, 01:47 PM']OK, taken of the Status black tapes, didn't get on with them.

I've put on a set of roundwound DR black beauties, job done. Shame they don't feel as nice as the tapes or flats, but bwoy, they sound good!

If anyone fancies trying the Status black tapes, PM me your address and I'll send them to you. They were on a Fender 4 a-side long scale peghead so they should fit most basses - .045 - .105.

Cheers.[/quote]

Strings now passed on to a good home.