Why become a member? ×

help required

qed

hi all..
i'm currently putting together my 'bitza' precision, except that i want humbuckers in it and not single coils cos i prefer them (and i have a serious emg addiction).. so it will end up like a musicman i suppose (hey perhaps that was leo's original idea..) or even a modlus (which is a jazz with musicman pickups if you think about it.. albeit a bit better quality i suppose)
anyrate.. i'd like some kind soul out there to measure up their musicman stingray and tell me the distance from the nut at the top of the neck to the first (neck) pickup and the second (bridge) pickup, so that i can get them in the right place..
also if anyone has a paper template for a precision pickguard i'd love a copy of it..

thanks all!! ;)

>but my stinger's only got one pickup

hi .. thx for replying .. actually if you get the time, the distance to the bridge pickup would be cool (leading edge to the nut).. i think i'm only going to put the bridge pickup on anyway.. what with emg's being the best part of ninety quid :-/

Go here for a full scale P-bass pickguard template in pdf form.
[url="http://www.terrapinisland.com/pdf3/PDF010609-FPB4.pdf"]http://www.terrapinisland.com/pdf3/PDF010609-FPB4.pdf[/url]
They have a template for a musicman/OLP as well so you could use that to estimate distance of pickup to bridge.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='qed' post='399939' date='Feb 4 2009, 01:26 PM']>but my stinger's only got one pickup

hi .. thx for replying .. actually if you get the time, the distance to the bridge pickup would be cool (leading edge to the nut).. i think i'm only going to put the bridge pickup on anyway.. what with emg's being the best part of ninety quid :-/[/quote]

752mm from inside edge of nut to closest side of pickup

HTH

the stingray pick up is positioned at about the same distance from the bridge as the space between the 2nd and third fret so that it sits under a harmonic node. if possible i would suggest stringing up the bass before routing the pidk up cavities and finding the node on the strings and then putting the pick up in under it.

[quote name='rockpig' post='411653' date='Feb 17 2009, 01:22 AM']the stingray pick up is positioned at about the same distance from the bridge as the space between the 2nd and third fret so that it sits under a harmonic node...[/quote]
As long as you only play open strings cos as soon as you fret it, the harmonic node will shift elsewhere...