Why become a member? ×

Blackstar or DHA?

DanOwens

Hi everyone,

Whilst in my local PMT I noticed a number of Blackstar Amps valve distortion pedals. I came home and had a read. UK based, valve distortion pedals. Sounded familiar, as I've been GASing for a DHA Dual Custom for about 2 years (no impulse buys here!!!).

Anyone know the major differences, or why the Blackstar equivalent of the VT2 Dual Custom is a lot cheaper?

Many thanks,

Dan

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='392824' date='Jan 27 2009, 03:27 PM']Hi everyone,

Whilst in my local PMT I noticed a number of Blackstar Amps valve distortion pedals. I came home and had a read. UK based, valve distortion pedals. Sounded familiar, as I've been GASing for a DHA Dual Custom for about 2 years (no impulse buys here!!!).

Anyone know the major differences, or why the Blackstar equivalent of the VT2 Dual Custom is a lot cheaper?

Many thanks,

Dan[/quote]

yo! I own the blackstar distortion pedal. The distortion is almost a fuzz when you crank the gain to max... it can get very fizzy... also it loses a lot of bottom end from you tone. I use mine in conjunction wit ha parablender fx blender to blend my clean signal to the distortion to add bottom end.

It's a cool pedal.. the distortion could be a bit thicker on it. I would look for a bass specific pedal or a dist with a blend on it.

For what I use it for live it's cool as I want some nasty distortion fuzz blended in with my clean to try and recreate a two amp scinario... (the classic a guitar amp blend with a bass amp sound)

Try out the MXR blowtorch or El grande or the Boss Bass Overdrive.. I also own a tc electronic bass distortion which is awesome but they stopped making them.

I had an HT Dual, utterly gorgeous for guitar, I have heard folks use it for bass too. It has amazing tone and tone flexibility. I sold my entire guitar rig though and got a POD X3 Live. I now also have a Blackstar HT5-C valve combo for recording guitar, it is based on the pedal circuits. It's lovely too. I am seriously impressed and I reckoned a while ago Blackstar will be very big one day. Give 'em a try sometime.

[quote name='silddx' post='393091' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:26 PM']I had an HT Dual, utterly gorgeous for guitar, I have heard folks use it for bass too. It has amazing tone and tone flexibility. I sold my entire guitar rig though and got a POD X3 Live. I now also have a Blackstar HT5-C valve combo for recording guitar, it is based on the pedal circuits. It's lovely too. I am seriously impressed and I reckoned a while ago Blackstar will be very big one day. Give 'em a try sometime.[/quote]
I have the Blackstar HT-Drive and it is a superb overdrive. ;)