Why become a member? ×

Singing AND playing bass?

agroupuk

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='385855' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:43 AM']Thats interesting - how did you find the Level 42 singing compared to the Police stuff. In my head I am thinking it's two complete different styles. I would have Level 42 down as a more percussive feel which drives throughout the whole song whereas the Police stuff is melody driving? Did you find one easier to do than the other?[/quote]

Good question. Obviously playing Mark Kings basslines is slightly more difficult to play than 'some' of Stings but strangly I found it quite easy to sing and play the Level 42 stuff. I had played that stuff since I was 15 though so I did know it quite well.
I have to say that I have learnt a lot more from learning a two hour Police set though like it sound good to leave a space instead of piling 16ths into it.

Like I said Driven to Tears is a good example, I thought that was going to beat me.
To Be With You Again is the only L42 track I had trouble with.

My only problem was learning to hit Stings notes without shouting and without singing like a small child hence I usually can't talk the next day!!!

Overall, I think the Police set was a little harder to master but thats just me. ;) :P

[quote name='agoulding' post='385540' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:46 PM']try playing the song while say, watching tv. Learn how to play the song without having to concentrate that much.

Thats how i learned. I had to sing death metal and play bass too. That was pretty difficult but after pushing myself i got somewhere[/quote]

I do that- though death is pushing it a bit. I find it really hard to focus on the correct vocal method (so my vocal chords don't die) and play at the same time. I also get the most complicated line in the whole band! (but I play guitar that song)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='385126' date='Jan 19 2009, 04:29 PM']You learn ot do one. Then learn to do the other. Then learn to do both at the same time.

In a nutshell, you need to work as hard at playing and singing at the same time as you did at doing them seperately. I get the impression that people think that, if you can do both, you can do both at the same time. Its not THAT hard to do but you do have to work at it (bit like the left and right hand on a piano).[/quote]

+1. I've done it since day one, but you have to separate them first. I suggest you learn the bass line back to front, and then practice the singing.

Something else to contend is the introduction of a mic stand. I could play with my eyes shut and could sing no problem, but introduce a mic and a stand and I used to go to pieces. My brain just wouldn't let me do all 3 things, it was a total pain. I've found that the combination of ridiculous amount of practise (at a mic that doesnt need to be on), with a bass around my neck, continuous singing of the vocal (whenever I could, cars, work, bog, park, KFC....), and some simplification of the bass line when I was singing all really helped (once you get confident, the more complex lines and vocals will fall into place). I'm absolutely fine now, but you must train your brain to be able to accept multiple tasks. Thats very easy for me to say, but my 'singing-and-playing-at-the-same-time-without-cocking-my-bassline-or-singing-out-of-tune' prowess has really started to come alive over the last 6 months, so it can be done. Main thing though mate....RELAX.

Edited by Hoppo75