Why become a member? ×

Best of the ultra low budget basses??

Jamesemt

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='117930' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:01 PM']Was planning on using my new SX Jazz as an everyday bass, but slipped with the screwdriver when changing the scratchplate...so my work beater bass is an SX Jazz with tortoiseshell scratchplate, gotoh bridge, hipshot ultralites and upgraded pickups...must learn not to go near a bass with a screwdriver...(did a similar thing with a strat last year :))[/quote]

That's upgraded to a level that most decent Fender bass's won't be, and you call it a beater?

unless the neck is really bad, something like that would become my main easily, scratch or not.

And scratch's are mojo after all.

[quote name='Buzz' post='118295' date='Jan 11 2008, 01:13 AM']That's upgraded to a level that most decent Fender bass's won't be, and you call it a beater?

unless the neck is really bad, something like that would become my main easily, scratch or not.

And scratch's are mojo after all.[/quote]

Maybe so, but not on a Poly body. Besides, I've got a Fender 62RI P as my main bass...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='117930' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:01 PM']Was planning on using my new SX Jazz as an everyday bass, but slipped with the screwdriver when changing the scratchplate...
...must learn not to go near a bass with a screwdriver...(did a similar thing with a strat last year :))[/quote]

isn't that called relic'ing, and people seem to pay good money for it ? :huh:

Edited by SJA

[quote name='Alfie' post='120586' date='Jan 15 2008, 08:35 AM']I just recieved my SX P Bass in metalic silver. Although FedEx are a bit useless, the process of ordering from Rondomusic is relatively straight forward and cheap. Plus the SX plays [b]a lot[/b] better than my Squier.

[/quote]

Welcome to the SX maniacs club!

That's different :)
Interesting to hear a direct comparison to a Squier.
How much would your squier cost, for comparison?

OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='120590' date='Jan 15 2008, 08:44 AM']Welcome to the SX maniacs club!

That's different :)
Interesting to hear a direct comparison to a Squier.
How much would your squier cost, for comparison?

OG[/quote]

My Squier P Bass special is about 9 years old and has a PJ configuration, today I think they cost around £170- which is about twice the the price of the SX after factoring in shipping and taxes. The main problem with the Squier lay in the neck- the neck quickly developed an incurable forward bow, adjusting the truss could only cure some of it. It always had bad fretwork, but the reduced tension caused by the bowing really showed this up and the action had to be set extremely high to compensate. Also the intonation of the bass was screwed.

The SX has not been professionally set up but it plays surprsingly well, intonation is far better than the squier and could be spot on with a bit of adjustment. The neck feels much more comfortable to play and I prefer the gloss finish of the SX to the more satin style Squier. Also the factory has cut the nut to a more reasonable size than the Squier's. The Squier feels sturdier, I am happier with the Squier's body and finish.

As far as the electronics are concerned (and with the humbucker on the Squier turned down for parity), I find the SX has a bit more clarity but there is not much between them in volume.

I think with both manufacturers the quality is inconsistant, and I just happen to have a good SX and a pretty poor Squier. Actually the Squier is quite playable now because I have added a new neck... bought from Rondo music, as well as some Wizards. So a good SX is far better than a bad Squier, it would perhaps be more useful to compare two good examples- but the simple fact that there is inconsitancy makes SX the winner in cost.

I also have a CIJ Fender. To compare the SX to this would be an insult to the Fender.

[quote name='Alfie' post='120633' date='Jan 15 2008, 10:01 AM']My Squier P Bass special is about 9 years old and has a PJ configuration, today I think they cost around £170- which is about twice the the price of the SX after factoring in shipping and taxes.[/quote]

Thanks.
Very illumnating though I'm confused about the SX costing £85 including shipping and taxes ..
Was it second hand?

[quote name='OldGit' post='120663' date='Jan 15 2008, 10:49 AM']Thanks.
Very illumnating though I'm confused about the SX costing £85 including shipping and taxes ..
Was it second hand?[/quote]

Sorry, I was being vague. I just had a look at the receipts and it was £95 before taxes.

[quote name='Alfie' post='120670' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:00 AM']Sorry, I was being vague. I just had a look at the receipts and it was £95 before taxes.[/quote]
Ah yes .. Add about £40 for inport duty, VAT and courier admin charge.

Cooooool that's 4 or of us now then ....