rodfunnell

New 'Verb... Prescribed by the Dr!

After hearing a sweet 'verb effect during Pete Stroud's (aka @mybass) presentation at the SE Bass Bash last weekend (again thanks to all involved for such a great day) I took a peek at his board and saw a Dr Green's Bass Verb pedal. Once I got home, unloaded, did my fair share of the nappies and finally sat down I had a shufty round the internet and spotted one for sale on Gear For Music for £44 - and got to keep my gold status as a result of the order (I had no idea what this was about but when you get an email saying make an order of lose your preferential prices you do take action!) - I'm fully aware it is not going to make me sound one iota like Pete, but at least I would LOOK like I might to any gear nuts!

I got to have a play with it last night at my band's 'acoustic' set practice and was pleasantly surprised - I'm not really a pedal user (have a load but never got into the whole dancing round turning them on and off) but think this one might have some real scope! As a result of the lack of a gigging board I was especially pleased it used PSU or battery! It is really simple but has usable sounds through the whole sweep of the controls and is solidly built. I can't recommend this strongly enough - I can't say it makes me sound like Pete but that wasn't really the aim - I'm just pleased it wasn't a folly and it adds a great new dimension, its not going to be destroyed by a cloven-footed harp player and I'm supporting a British brand - even if the unig is made in China.

It is a simple, solid metal casing housing the true bypass internal gubbins, a footswitch, two simple controls - Mix, (the amount of reverb vs. the amount of dry signal) and Depth, (amount of effect) and an obligatory LED operation indicator, but it can take you from a 'tight short plate' to a 'huge cathedral-type wash' - don't get me wrong we are not talking about the quality of a Eventide pedal but neither is the price! I'm going to add a footnote to this next week after a full electric band practice as I'm not 100% sure about any volume drop off on engagement, especially at the extremes of the sweeps but at the moment I'm happy with the results for such a relatively small outlay!

A comprehensive, not salesy Ashdown demo can be seen here:

If you want to score a bit of brilliant, British Bass 'Verbiness then check out https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dr-Green-Bass-Verb-Reverb-Pedal/PFI while the sale price lasts, and you can still get them as Ashdown have realeased a new line of Bass effects!

73063391_704653860018077_7827233539367108608_n.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Petey
      I bought this amp some years ago as a back-up to my main amp. Although I gigged it a few times,  whilst my main amp was in for a service, it has only seen a maximum of 4 gigs. It then became amp 3,4,5 and so on. In the meantime I spent some money on it purchasing (well over £100.00 and your gain as the amp has hardly been used since) - all direct from Ashdown
      8 new feet (4 for the side and 4 for the bottom)
      a new leather handle
      padded cover 
      x2 pedals  - change between the various options A - EQ on/off, pre set signature Ashdown sound & B Valve Drive and Sub Octave
      The amp has lots of features and packs a punch - at the time it was Ashdown's flagship amp. Whoever gets this amp will get a well cared for and up-together amp. If you're not used to this amount of power and quality of tone, this amp will elevate your sound within the band and give your tone authority. This is the twin amp (2x 575w) model - I always admired  these amps and identified it as the 4 fan version (if you look at the others in that range they have 1 or 2 fans and NOT 4 as the more powerful amp has).
      Please note current PAT test sticker ( I have ALL my gigging equipment PAT tested yearly as I play so many venues that first ask for Public Liability Insurance and PAT test docs). If you require tech specs then there are lots on line, or more detailed photos, please PM me and I'll ping them over. I put reflective stickers on the two foot pedals so I knew what was what  on stage - they can easily be removed - but this highlights the availability of choice of the  EQ section, the Ashdown Pre-set tone option, Valve Drive and Sub Octave to you mid performance.
      Located just east of Portsmouth on the South Coast (West Sussex) . A cash deal would be my preference but I could be up for trades, depends on what you have to offer - collection only.

• By javi_bassist
      Hi guys,
      I have been playing ampless for the last two years. However, I have an Ashdown Spyder 330 and I wanted to experiment today with it. I plugged my bass to the amp and the send of the amp to my computer. The thing is, I thought the Gain should have affected the output, but it didn't. Actually, none of the controls seemed to affect the signal. It kinda sucks because I wanted to use that cool preamp with the power section of my RM500 (in the weird cases that the 330 wouldn't be enough). However, it doesn't seem it won't work.
      I think I read somewhere that the effects send and return of the Spyder came before the preamp. Is that right?
    • By Paul C
      Ashdown ABM 500 Combo for sale. 4x10. Good condition for age. Perfect working order. Can be tried out at rehearsal room in central Manchester. 10 minutes walk from Piccadilly train station. Would require collection via car due to weight. 

• By chyc
      Hello all!
      What are people's thoughts on using Ashdown's AA-50-R as an upright bass combo? It looks awfully similar to a PJB Cub in terms of advertised spec, but of course the devil is in the details.
      I sent an email to Ashdown around a month ago but never got a reply about this. Ideally I'd try one, but
      1) There isn't one near me
      2) I don't want to try one and break it