Why become a member? ×

Solo Bass Piece - Video added/Logic audio...

urb

Hey peeps

I recorded this the other day - it's still a bit work in progress - but I've been developing a new picking style which is based on some of the Wooten stuff but it's NOT slapping - though it is very chord based - so you get bassline, chord and synchopated plucks as well... anyway the point is it sounds cool. So this was improvised around a couple of groove ideas I had - and I have developed it further since - but I'd love to know what you think of it.

I also wanted to record the Sei on its own and really let the bass speak for itself - which I think it does!

Thanks again for listening - click below:
[b][url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=103916"]Happy Too[/url]
[/b]

Cheers

Mike

Quite nice ;) I like how it's got the same feel as the Wooten-esque style of playing but without the 'aggression' of full on slap. Good work. Are you just holding back a little on the strength when using said technique, just enought to get the string into motion?

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='375760' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:14 PM']Quite nice ;) I like how it's got the same feel as the Wooten-esque style of playing but without the 'aggression' of full on slap. Good work. Are you just holding back a little on the strength when using said technique, just enought to get the string into motion?

Mark[/quote]

Thanks Mark

Basically I learnt (as best I could) Wooten's 'Sex In A Pan' - which he plays all the plucking/double thumbing stuff over the pickups - and doesn't slap - I do it over my ramp, I still slap the strings but not at the end of the neck - then I do two plucks with index and middle fingers to get that 'motion' thing hapening, then I hammer on as well from open strings and barred chords... I'm very relaxed with it now so it means I can go where ever I want harmonically, but I'm just working on different combinations of plucks and hammers to create variety. Hope that explains things a bit.

Thanks for listening

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='hivez' post='376003' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:17 AM']Mike I'd like to hear this but there is just a report button no download button. I could listen to your other stuff which I enjoyed but not the solo Sei.

Regards

Dave[/quote]
hi

You need Quicktime installed to listen to this track try and install of and let meknow if it works

Cheers

M

[quote name='urb' post='376090' date='Jan 10 2009, 01:04 PM']hi

You need Quicktime installed to listen to this track try and install of and let meknow if it works

Cheers

M[/quote]

Ah thats better Quicktime worked. For something that is mainly improvised I thought it was great. What you thinking of doing with it, some parts made me think thats nice I'd take that bit and develop it (if I was able to play it that is). Thanks for posting it

Regards

Dave

[quote name='hivez' post='376582' date='Jan 11 2009, 02:24 AM']Ah thats better Quicktime worked. For something that is mainly improvised I thought it was great. What you thinking of doing with it, some parts made me think thats nice I'd take that bit and develop it (if I was able to play it that is). Thanks for posting it

Regards

Dave[/quote]

Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I plan on doing with this stuff, taking the best bits and bringing in more melody, it also works well as a frenetic percussive chord/groove idea as well, so Ive only just started to explore the possibilities it opens up

M

• 1 month later...

I just added a video version of this tune and used Logic to record the audio, I'm finally getting the hang of it, as the piece is still slightly improvised it's different to the recorded version... I'm still working on it so pardon the odd fluffed bit ;)

Cheers

Mike