Why become a member? ×

DIY Valve Overdrive/Emulator

Stub Mandrel

I've got one of these to play with:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6J1-Valve-Pre-amp-Tube-PreAmplifier-Board-Bass-on-Musical-Fidelity-X10-D-Circuit/152894986169?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Has anyone else had a play with one of these? What sort of level of signal do your need to get them to clip?

Do they work well daisy chained?

image.thumb.png.c1a946972c28618184286782939e761a.png

Just for clarity I want this "to provide post-amp Bile flavor of music to enjoy!"

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Phono inputs and outputs mean it's probably designed to work at line level signals. Not really suitable for the comparatively small signal from a bass guitar.

I could be wrong, but even if it passes signal then the signal to noise ratio will mean it has very limited applications for us low enders.

Probably not very good for metal either.

12 hours ago, Meddle said:

I assume that at 12 volts it is going to be a pretty light, if anything, and maybe not even that.

Apparently they work OK, most of the PCB is voltage multipliers to get up to about 48V, which is OK, if not as high as would be ideal.

9 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Phono inputs and outputs mean it's probably designed to work at line level signals. Not really suitable for the comparatively small signal from a bass guitar.

I could be wrong, but even if it passes signal then the signal to noise ratio will mean it has very limited applications for us low enders.

That's what I'm interested in, if anyone has already worked out what levels work. Clearly the signal will need to be boosted considerably to overdrive the valves, then reduced.

It would possibly be best placed in the line level effect loop as well.

I haven't got time for much experiementation at the moment...