Why become a member? ×

wizard pups on a squier

bassmansky

am thinking of buying an affinity squier p-bass and would want to change the pups for wizards.does anyone now if they would be a perfect fit or a little modification is needed?also would it be worth it?just seen some seymour duncans on flea bay,same question on those as well please.
thanks.

Edited by bassmansky

[quote name='bassmansky' post='370386' date='Jan 4 2009, 09:44 PM']am thinking of buying an affinity squier p-bass and would want to change the pups for wizards.does anyone now if they would be a perfect fit or a little modification is needed?also would it be worth it?just seen some seymour duncans on flea bay,same question on those as well please.
thanks.[/quote]
[i]Probably[/i] drop straight in & if they are half as good as the 84's - well worth it. Give Andy at Wizard a call and ask him - very nice chap.

I had a Squier P5 which I tried to fit Wizards to and had a bit of trouble with the "feet" of the J pups - i.e. the screw holes that stick out. Apparently some Fender casings are different and Squier had used two 4 string neck pickup casings for a 5 string!

I'd make sure you tell him the distance between the centre of the fixing holes (as well as width and depth).

Good luck. When you get it right, you'll love the Wizards. I do.

EDIT: Just saw you said p-bass. I presume your main worry will be with the fit through your scratchplate, as it is probably a wide square rout under there.

Edited by Huge Hands

In all honesty, why spend £50 or £70 on a pup to put in an affinity p-bass you're thinking of buying, unless the damn thing is an amazing player, that money would be better spent on a better bass from the outset.

That £50 will easily get you a standard, and probably also a Classic Vibe p-bass, which quite frankly, [b]will[/b] be much better than the affinity, not just by virtue of having better hardware, the upper Squier models seem to have much much tighter QC.

I also ask why you'd want to change the pups without actually hearing what's in the affinity, could be the sound you're looking for.

Edited by Buzz

i might be able to get hold of an affinity for £80,+£50 for pups.£130,how much for a standard squier?if i had the cash for a cv 60's pbass i would get one tomorrow!but i see what youre saying,bit of a gamble i suppose.dont think a affinity would be the sound i was after without some modifacation.

[quote name='bassmansky' post='371250' date='Jan 5 2009, 06:59 PM']so two good replys for the wizard pups.anyone for the seymour duncan pups?[/quote]

My other P5 was purchased with Seymour Duncans already fitted. I did an A-B as I wanted to keep the best and mod the other. The Wizards won hands down for me as the Seymours were too spanky and didn't have as high an output, but it's because I like a fat, "no teeth" sound. I imagine the Seymours would have suited a punk player better and arguably may be more versatile.

However, it was Wizards all the way for me. If I ever save up some cash, I'm hoping to get a set of Wizards for my other P5.

NB: My 5 string Squiers, although a P shape, use J pickups, not split coils.