Why become a member? ×

Teaching

Paul_1991

Evening all,

Basically after playing for over 5 years now and being taught by a touring pro, I am thinking about starting to teach but I'm just wondering if there is anything I need to do before I could start? Plus as I am only 17 is that a factor?

Sorry if this sounds a silly question but just looking for advice off anyone.

Thanks, Paul

I imagine this question is going to get lots of different answers.

My questions would be why do you want to teach? Is it because you think you have something to offer, or is it for money or do have a desire to help others? Also, what is it you can offer somebody? Do you know enough to be able to teach somebody for more than say 3 lessons? Plus, to what standard and what styles?

Maybe see if you can put some course work together covering different levels and see if you have enough material for say the total beginner or for somebody who wants to play reggea, blues and jazz. I think that would be your starting point. If you dry up of things to teach, then your going to run into trouble. Also, you need to know what you can or want to teach. For example, if a pupil said they want to learn to read music, you might not be able to do this.

Not sure if thats going to help or not but just my initials thoughts.