Why become a member? ×

Polishing Up Brass-ware

DamonUK

Dear Bassmates!

Firstly, Happy New Year! And I hope it will be a bassentric year for all!

Secondly, I want to get some brass-ware from one of my basses professionally cleaned up to a sparkling new condition. I made some inquiries and my local bass emporium, here in North West London, and they said they don't take that kind of work on so I thought I'd ask you lovely Basschat peeps where you'd recommend me sending it to. Any takers?

Thanks,

Damon

How bad exactly is the brassware? Is it not something you could do with some brasso and cotton tipped buds etc? I use 'Peek' metal cleaner on my fretless bass neck (brass/zinc mix) and it comes up beautifully.

Cheers
ped

Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ped - yes, I thought about just using Brasso but then I thought if I got it cleaned professionally 1). they would do a better job and 2). they would finish it with a Polyurethane Lacquer top coat.

Steve - The brassware in question is a string retainer and bridge on a headless 1980s bass. I'm not sure whether it had a lacquer on it originally.

I may attempt it but if I could find someone to send it to and get done for say £30/£40 I think I would prefer it.

Do you guys know of anyone?

Cheers

Damon