Why become a member? ×

Amps, FX loops and inputs

GreeneKing

I've got a back up amp (Hartke LH500) and I'm looking at pairing it up with the BassPOD XT Pro that I got from Anndra (Lysdexia). Now conventionally I would input the bass (signal level) into the front of the Pro and take the analog 'model' o/p into the FX return of the amp bypassing the pre, EQ and limiter. The Pro manual stresses not to put the analog out into the amp pre as it's too hot. (I tried carefully with my Cube 30 and it's definately a no no).

So have I got it right here? Is an amp's FX loop generally between the pre amp and the power amp?

If this is the case can I input through the amp's pre as per normal and take the FX loops out and run it into the back of the Pro as a 'line level input'? (0dB to 4dB from the LH manual) and then take the Pro's analog o/p back into the LH FX loop in for feeding to the power amp? I'd rather use the nice valve pre on the amp.

Peter

Well not for the 1st time I can answer my own question. I'll put it here for the benfit of anyone that comes along.

The pre on the LH500 includes EQ, limiter and volume before the FX out. Using FX out to the line level input on the Pro does work with the BassPOD output feeding back in to the LH power amp but the whole thing sounds better with the bass going into the BassPOD and just using the power amp on the LH via the FX loop return. The LH volume then has no effect and it's all down to the settings on the BassPOD.

Peter