Why become a member? ×

NAD Markbass EVO1 - some first thoughts

Marc S

I had posted some questions about this amp, as I was looking for an amp head with 2 separately controlled inputs, suitable for doubling-up with Bass guitar and upright.
Anyhow, I bit the bullet just over a week ago, and ordered the EVO1 head from my local PMT in Cardiff. They price-matched it to the sale price on Andertons, who were offering it at a considerable reduction :)

I've not gigged it in earnest yet, but I did play BG through it at a local folk club (on Friday). My previous problem was that my other 2 channel head (Euphonic Audio micro 550W) was just a bit to "clean" and "hi-fi-like" with a Bass guitar, but pretty good when amplifying Upright (Acoustic DB and EUB). My precision(s) or Jazz just seemed to lack a bit of warmth or "bite". 

First impressions of the MB EVO1 are really good. There are a range of pre-set amp modelling sounds on each channel to help too.
But I've been impressed with the range of sounds and tones I can get from the amp :)
Plenty of bite and grunt with a Pbass or Jazz plugged into it, and a nice warm "mwah" with my fretless Jazz.

Also, playing my EUB through it, I could get a decent upright sound, and it's so easy and quick to switch between the two channels.
I now feel I've got complete control over both Upright and BG at the flick of a switch!

One negative point though, is that each channel has a lot of dials, and in the dark, it's not quite so easy to see which control is which. There are several "atmospheric looking lights" on the head - but none of the properly illuminates any of the control knobs. I'm sure I'll get used to them eventually, but to me at the moment I keep forgetting which one is which... Perhaps I should just stick some sticky labels with "Gain" "B" "M" "T" and "Mvol" on them? Seems a shame to have to do that IMO

But overall, so far, so good. I'm gigging with it on Friday, and I've got a loud rehearsal with it beforehand on Tuesday eve
And I'm looking forward to hearing it cranked up

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1