Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B25 with 6550's?

Pentode

Hi Dave,

I've got a nice little Ampeg B25 currently running with 6L6GC's - I thought it might be fun to try popping a couple of 6550's in there to see how it sounds.... I'm a bit concerned about the screen voltage being a little high for the 6550 and maybe the heater current a bit heavier on the transformer.

Whaddya think?

Cheers Grahame :)

[quote name='Pentode' post='367469' date='Dec 31 2008, 10:10 PM']Hi Dave,

I've got a nice little Ampeg B25 currently running with 6L6GC's - I thought it might be fun to try popping a couple of 6550's in there to see how it sounds.... I'm a bit concerned about the screen voltage being a little high for the 6550 and maybe the heater current a bit heavier on the transformer.

Whaddya think?

Cheers Grahame :)[/quote]

Hi Grahame,

I will check the figures and get back to you. I would think it should be fine but I would be more interested in the output transformers load impedance, I think they are near each other but best to check.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='367707' date='Jan 1 2009, 01:32 PM']Hi Grahame,

I will check the figures and get back to you. I would think it should be fine but I would be more interested in the output transformers load impedance, I think they are near each other but best to check.

Dave[/quote]

Nice one Dave.

Thanks very much :)

BTW I've been using one of your VT1 EQ Bass Drives and I'm [u]very[/u] impressed!

Grahame

Whaddya think?

It will vary a little betwwen manufactures but a 6550 has a load resistance of about 4K and a 6L6 about 3K8-6K6 in class AB push-pull so if should be okay on that side of things. a re-bais will be a must.

6L6 heater current is 0.9A - 6550 = 1.6A so unless the amp has an overspec'd heater supply then it's not going to work.

A KT88 and 6550 are almost the same thing so KT88's will not help.

regards

Dave

Whaddya think?

Just remember an old Fender Twin I had in to repair years ago, the owners dad swapped the 6L6s for KT66's - took forever to repair.

dave

[quote name='DHA' post='375101' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:48 PM']It will vary a little betwwen manufactures but a 6550 has a load resistance of about 4K and a 6L6 about 3K8-6K6 in class AB push-pull so if should be okay on that side of things. a re-bais will be a must.

6L6 heater current is 0.9A - 6550 = 1.6A so unless the amp has an overspec'd heater supply then it's not going to work.

A KT88 and 6550 are almost the same thing so KT88's will not help.

regards

Dave[/quote]

Nice one! :)

Thanks very much Dave, much appreciated!

Grahame