Why become a member? ×

Washburn T14

Robert

Hello everyone,

I'm a first time poster. I stumbled across this forum today whilst looking for info. on bass effects pedals.

I've just taken possession of my first bass. I plumped for a Washburn T14 after initially looking at an Epiphone EB0 and a Yamaha RBX170. I can't play much yet so my decision was based more on the general feel on the instrument (it was the lightest and had the nicest feeling neck). There didn't seem to be much between them in terms of tone.
Does this seem like a stupid criterion to base my choice on?
Anyone with any experience of these basses think I made the correct/wrong decision?

If only I'd known about this site while I was browsing the guitar stores of Glasgow......

Cheers,
Robert.

[quote]I can't play much yet so my decision was based more on the general feel on the instrument (it was the lightest and had the nicest feeling neck). There didn't seem to be much between them in terms of tone.
Does this seem like a stupid criterion to base my choice on?[/quote]

Welcome Robert, and that seems the perfect criteria to make a decision on!

The right tone is something you may well end up chasing your entire bass life, or you might stumble upon it right away. So in the meantime just go with what feels good.

I have no experience of those particular basses but I am sure someone who has will be along in a minute!

:)

Paul.

That's a nice looking bass, Robert - and Paul's right, perfect criteria to choose a starter bass. You won't know for a while what tone you really want - if ever :) - but the feel is all-important. I've never played a Washburn bass, but their electric guitars are very nice indeed.

Of the basses you mentioned, I'd maybe have gone for the Yamaha - I really like the RBX series - but the Washburn looks like a good instrument at a really decent price. There's a lot to be said for the P/J configuration (split-coil at the neck end, single-coil at the bridge - named after the Precision and Jazz basses Fender made famous) as it can do most tones without the expense and added complication (when you're learning) of an active EQ.

I reckon you did right to skip the Epi - short-scale basses are very much an individual taste (one I don't share!) and the EB-0's a one trick pony. Quite a trick, it has to be admitted, but it's pretty limited compared with any decent P/J bass. Back in the day, I played both an EB-0 and an EB-3 (2 pickups, 34" scale). Fabulous build - these were the Gibson originals - but really not up to modern basses, IMHO, nor to their Fender contemporaries, unless you were after that Jack Bruce-with-Cream tone, which I was, in which case they're the bee's knees, especially the EB-3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

[quote name='lee4' post='570522' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:29 AM']Welcome to the club,Robert.
If a bass feels right to you,then its the right choice.What it looks like is immaterial.An uncomfortable bass will put you off.[/quote]

erm..yes welcome..sorry robert