Why become a member? ×

Double bass compression

Pookus

I am finding my double bass sounds much better with compression when amplified. This is partly because the gain from the E string is very high due to the location of the pickup on that side of the bridge (on my bass). The compressor evens things out nicely. I know there are a lot of variables etc but does anyone know of any base settings I could try - hard / soft knee, fast / slow attack, fast / slow release, ratio? I could test your suggestions and get back to you. Cheers.

Thanks for replying. I use Fishman pre-amp with parametric eq but it doesn't have compression on it. I use a TLAudio Fatman rack mounted compressor from my home studio set-up. It has loads of pre-sets but I prefer to dial in manual settings for double bass. In conjunction with the pre-amp it seems to have eliminated all feedback even at highish volumes. Cool.

[quote name='TheRev' post='364744' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:02 PM']I use a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ so I haven't got that many controls to mess with, but I find compression set at 10 o'clock and the depth at 2 o'clock give a nice even sound.[/quote]
I have the same unit, but little experience of using it so far. However, the block diagram for the signal chain seems to show a hi-pass filter (depth), followed by 3-band mid range, followed by compression, followed by bass and treble. So they have tone shaping both before and after the compressor. That might make a difference to how you set up your system.