Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yamaha RBX4 A2/M Medium-scale question

Barjeelik

Hi and Merry Christmas,

Looking ahead to January already, I'm hoping to buy a Yam RBX4 A2 bass as I own the guitar version and it's just right for me.
They've now introduced a 5 string version, which isn't my thing, and a medium-scale (32) one to go with the existing (34) long-scale model. Does anyone have any experience of a medium-scale basses to know what sort of difference tonally and otherwise this will make and if it will be substantial. I hope to try both in a local shop but so far I've only seen the 34 model in all local dealers and the medium-scale may seem too exotic for dealers to risk stocking. The only info. I could find suggested longer-scale provided a lower tone and Yam UK's site "The RBX4A2M features a 32 ½” ‘medium scale’ neck and provides a tone which is punchier than its 34” brothers but still offers the same full sound, light weight and great looks", which is helpful but just a little.
Thanks

Bar.

[quote name='Barjeelik' post='363055' date='Dec 24 2008, 07:41 PM']Hi and Merry Christmas,

Looking ahead to January already, I'm hoping to buy a Yam RBX4 A2 bass as I own the guitar version and it's just right for me.
They've now introduced a 5 string version, which isn't my thing, and a medium-scale (32) one to go with the existing (34) long-scale model. Does anyone have any experience of a medium-scale basses to know what sort of difference tonally and otherwise this will make and if it will be substantial. I hope to try both in a local shop but so far I've only seen the 34 model in all local dealers and the medium-scale may seem too exotic for dealers to risk stocking. The only info. I could find suggested longer-scale provided a lower tone and Yam UK's site "The RBX4A2M features a 32 ½” ‘medium scale’ neck and provides a tone which is punchier than its 34” brothers but still offers the same full sound, light weight and great looks", which is helpful but just a little.
Thanks

Bar.[/quote]

I've no idea about the Yamaha you refer to but having had a 32" Aria TSB-550 for many years (now gone to another grateful owner) I'd say that a 32" scale is fine if it suits you.

It will mean that, if you use the same gauge of strings, you will have less tension in them to get to pitch so you might want a slightly heavier gauge string to allow for that. Medium scale strings are less available than long scale and it can limit what strings you can choose from. The slightly shorter fret spacing makes 32" fast to play.

However, I'd say the other characteristics of the bass will be more important in terms of sound. For example, my Aria sounded like a early 80s Aria - general construction e.g. neck through, same pickups etc - rather than sounding specifically like a 32" scale bass.

Some Japanese Fender Jazzes are, I believe, available in 32" scale because the slightly shorter scale was popular with the Japanese of smaller stature (or so I've heard; sounds a bit dubious really) and if that's true it might explain why there's a Yamaha in 32" too. My Aria too was a 32" bass in an Aria range of mostly 34" basses.

You might want to consider that it's resale value might be affected by it's unusualness.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='363089' date='Dec 24 2008, 09:02 PM']I've no idea about the Yamaha you refer to but having had a 32" Aria TSB-550 for many years (now gone to another grateful owner) I'd say that a 32" scale is fine if it suits you.

It will mean that, if you use the same gauge of strings, you will have less tension in them to get to pitch so you might want a slightly heavier gauge string to allow for that. Medium scale strings are less available than long scale and it can limit what strings you can choose from. The slightly shorter fret spacing makes 32" fast to play.

However, I'd say the other characteristics of the bass will be more important in terms of sound. For example, my Aria sounded like a early 80s Aria - general construction e.g. neck through, same pickups etc - rather than sounding specifically like a 32" scale bass.

Some Japanese Fender Jazzes are, I believe, available in 32" scale because the slightly shorter scale was popular with the Japanese of smaller stature (or so I've heard; sounds a bit dubious really) and if that's true it might explain why there's a Yamaha in 32" too. My Aria too was a 32" bass in an Aria range of mostly 34" basses.

You might want to consider that it's resale value might be affected by it's unusualness.[/quote]

as explained above...with 'regular' gauge strings you may find the tension a bit low...so upping the gauge should solve that
bill wyman used short scale and flats and got on ok

As suggested above, the main thing you're likely to notice with medium-scale is a reduction in string tension (and the neck may feel a bit 'faster') I play mainly short and medium-scale basses (30" - 33") and find them very comfortable. I use very light gauge strings too as I'm a big fan of low tension basses. There is some criticism of shorter-scale basses on the grounds that they tend to have more limited (i) sustain, and (ii) depth and weight to both open and fretted notes. There's possibly something in this (though I don't profess to understand the physics), however, a lot depends on the individual bass - more expensive short-scale basses can have all the sustain (and more) of their long-scale counterparts. Of course, the most important consideration is how does medium-scale suit you - all you can do is try a few (I think you might be very pleasantly surprised: shorter scales - especially those with shallow necks - just feel easy, fast and more comfortable to me).

Edited by lozbass