Why become a member? ×

Any book recommendation to improve my sight reading?

Alberto O

Hello, my friends. I've been playing bass for around thirty five years now and I've been playing professionaly during most of that time. Six months ago I decided to master the instrument and I'm practicing and studying like crazy. Among other things,  I want to improve my sight reading, which is not very good, to tell you the truth.

Any book recommendation with exercises and so? I've just (sight) read 300 Progressive Sight Reading Exercises For Bass Guitar, which has been useful, but it would be great to know some other titles.

Thank you in advance.

Standing in the shadows of Motown is pretty good. It comes, or used to come with a CD. The recorded bass line was panned to the one channel, so you could hear how what you’re seeing should sound. There’s some tricky stuff in there, some complex rhythms.

See if you can find transcriptions of walking lines, they’re good to use for practice too, due to the fact that they go off in unexpected directions. I had a great book with loads of jazz lines by people like Scott LaFaro and Paul Chambers transcribed that I used to practice prior to auditioning for uni, I can’t remember what it was called now though. 

I always found sight reading melody lines was useful, you often get tied notes across bar lines, so it’s good for counting.

Hanon the virtuoso pianist is good too.