Why become a member? ×

Stupid f***ing Economy!

rasher80

So, i've managed to offload my Ric 4004L and i'm now on the lookout for a Fender Jazz (LH of course!). I need to try and keep it to a budget of around 600 absolute tops but would prefer around the 500 mark. I've been hunting and hunting but want to try and get a decent CIJ or even a well used MIA over a MIM. So you can imagine my delight when a CIJ 75 Jazz popped up in Ishibashi's U-Box. Now doing a bit of tinkering, it's going to cost heading £630 to get it here even before customs have had their chunk, and it's estimated that that could be another 100 or so on top.

What makes it worse is that i worked out that had it been in March of this year, i could've got it bought, shipped and through customs for under 500 due to the exchange rate. I'm in desperate need of a "main" instrument as i'm worried my Squier might give up the ghost at any time, so i don't fancy waiting until the exchange rates come back to a sensible level (who knows when that could be!). Added to which the "new" MIM Jazzes are much more expensive, and all for what i can gather are slight cosmetic changes and a wee bit of shielding.

I wish Fender would just do a couple of more options, i'm not asking much! Twunts. a decent 62 or 75 reissue would be nice! :)

[quote name='rasher80' post='355236' date='Dec 15 2008, 06:11 PM']So, i've managed to offload my Ric 4004L and i'm now on the lookout for a Fender Jazz (LH of course!). I need to try and keep it to a budget of around 600 absolute tops but would prefer around the 500 mark. I've been hunting and hunting but want to try and get a decent CIJ or even a well used MIA over a MIM. So you can imagine my delight when a CIJ 75 Jazz popped up in Ishibashi's U-Box. Now doing a bit of tinkering, it's going to cost heading £630 to get it here even before customs have had their chunk, and it's estimated that that could be another 100 or so on top.

What makes it worse is that i worked out that had it been in March of this year, i could've got it bought, shipped and through customs for under 500 due to the exchange rate. I'm in desperate need of a "main" instrument as i'm worried my Squier might give up the ghost at any time, so i don't fancy waiting until the exchange rates come back to a sensible level (who knows when that could be!). Added to which the "new" MIM Jazzes are much more expensive, and all for what i can gather are slight cosmetic changes and a wee bit of shielding.

I wish Fender would just do a couple of more options, i'm not asking much! Twunts. a decent 62 or 75 reissue would be nice! :)[/quote]

[url="http://www.fender.co.uk/products//search.php?partno=0132000300"]http://www.fender.co.uk/products//search.p...rtno=0132000300[/url]

[quote name='rasher80' post='355247' date='Dec 15 2008, 06:20 PM']Cheers Lateralus - it's exactly what i want - except it's right handed! Always one gotta be awkward hasn't there[/quote]

That'll teach you for being cack handed :) (actually I'm a lefty, but I play righty) I guess it kind of limits your choice though.

You know what, i tried and tried to play right-handed and it just felt wrong. When i restrung the crappy acoustic i was borrowed in the beginning and turned it upside down, then i was comfortable. It's such a shame cos i'd have no end of choice and i'd be much much happier!

Stupid cackhandedness!! :wacko:

[quote name='rasher80' post='355252' date='Dec 15 2008, 06:26 PM']You know what, i tried and tried to play right-handed and it just felt wrong. When i restrung the crappy acoustic i was borrowed in the beginning and turned it upside down, then i was comfortable. It's such a shame cos i'd have no end of choice and i'd be much much happier!

Stupid cackhandedness!! :wacko:[/quote]

I bet no-one ever asks to borrow your bass at gigs though!!!! Actually I always thought it was a bit unfair, I have a really good mate who plays guitar left handed - He always seems to end up paying way more than the righ handed equivalent for his guitars. I am so glad I learnt right handed!!!!! (and I'm so looking forward to getting my 70's Jazz later this week :) )

[quote name='lateralus462' post='355255' date='Dec 15 2008, 06:30 PM']I bet no-one ever asks to borrow your bass at gigs though!!!! Actually I always thought it was a bit unfair, I have a really good mate who plays guitar left handed - He always seems to end up paying way more than the righ handed equivalent for his guitars. I am so glad I learnt right handed!!!!! (and I'm so looking forward to getting my 70's Jazz later this week :) )[/quote]

So have you found somewhere that has a 70's re-issue jazz in stock??

[quote name='Linus27' post='356356' date='Dec 16 2008, 08:36 PM']HAHAHA to what? Please don't say a Warwick :)[/quote]

No not a warwick - but I'm still looking at 5/6 strings as well as 4's - TBH I realy want a lakland DJ5 or similar but there is no way I can afford one.

As this is going to be the last bass I can buy for a while I'm having to think really hard about what I want, and the truth is I can't find one that ticks all the boxes in the price range I'm looking at - I know I'm going to have to compromise but it's sooo hard to choose.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='356368' date='Dec 16 2008, 08:50 PM']No not a warwick - but I'm still looking at 5/6 strings as well as 4's - TBH I realy want a lakland DJ5 or similar but there is no way I can afford one.

As this is going to be the last bass I can buy for a while I'm having to think really hard about what I want, and the truth is I can't find one that ticks all the boxes in the price range I'm looking at - I know I'm going to have to compromise but it's sooo hard to choose.[/quote]

What are the boxes that need to be ticked?

[quote name='Linus27' post='356389' date='Dec 16 2008, 09:21 PM']What are the boxes that need to be ticked?[/quote]

Well atm

It has to be 5 string (although I'm kind of undecided between 4, 5 and 6 - I want the 5 or 6 mainly for the low B but if I find a 4 - for example the Fender 70's Jazz - that I really want I'll probably restring my Ibanez BEAD)
It has to look nice
It has to sound nice
It has to be good quality
And most importantly it has to cost between 4 - 500.00

Not much to ask really is it - I'm also the most indecisive person in the world so you can guarantee every time I make my mind up about what I want I'll change it about 30 mins later :)