Why become a member? ×

Help!!! I'm a little confused

lateralus462

I have just sold the last of my g**tar stuff to finance some new bass stuff. My original plan was to buy a Squier VMJ Fretless (which I have and am sooo happy with) just to try the fretless thing out, and another bass as well.

So I'd kind of decided on getting an Ibanez SR506 (I've always been happy with my Ibanez basses) but since the VMJ has turned up I've realised 2 things

1. I was only looking at 5/6 strings cos of the look of them, I don't think I've ever been playing and thought "hey I could do with a higher/lower string"

and

2. After dismissing Fender/Jazz basses for so long thinkking that they looked nice but probably weren't for me the VMJ has completely changed my mind - in fact at the moment I think my ideal bass at the moment would be a Sunburst 70's style jazz with block inlays and a tort pickguard, but that just sounds so unlike me.

So the fact of the matter is I have 450.00 burning a hole in my paypal account for a new bass and no real idea what to buy.

Help

Cheers

Chris

Really depends on the kind of playing you do. If you do a lot of playing where you need extended bottom end range, get a 5-string. If you like to do top-endy soloing or you play with a lot of wind players in funny keys, then get a 6-string or a tenor bass tuned to CGDA. If you now really like the jazz bass sound & you think you really don't need any extra strings, then the quantity of money in your paypal account will buy a nice used USA jazz. QED?

It's useful to have more than one bass.

My main is a 6 string, I use it for jazz, funk, rock, indie, pretty much anything.

I'm about to buy a 4 string Fender jazz though, more to do with it giving the right vibe for certain gigs, I play in a 70's style funk band, and a 6 string single cut I have to admit just doesn't sit right with the gig.

For a non-Fender retro look, how about giving a Lakland 55-01 a try? There's been a couple for sale here at around £450 secondhand.

On a side note, there's also a secondhand Warwick Streamer Stage 1 going for £560 - a great bass at a great price, but it isn't very "Fendery". :)

Edited by rjb

[quote name='lateralus462' post='354568' date='Dec 14 2008, 08:43 PM']2. After dismissing Fender/Jazz basses for so long thinkking that they looked nice but probably weren't for me the VMJ has completely changed my mind - in fact at the moment I think my ideal bass at the moment would be a Sunburst 70's style jazz with block inlays and a tort pickguard, but that just sounds so unlike me.[/quote]

I have just bought a Fender 70's Reissue Jazz bass, exactly as you described. Block inlays in Sunburst. It does have a black pickguard but you can change that or take it off your VMJ and put it on the Fender :) Not only highly recommended here (look for my other threads) but when I was buying it, I was comparing it to a Musicman and there really was not much in in it. Yes it had a different sound and neck but no worse, just different. It cost £440 and I love it. Check the picture below.

[quote name='Linus27' post='354785' date='Dec 15 2008, 08:52 AM']I have just bought a Fender 70's Reissue Jazz bass, exactly as you described. Block inlays in Sunburst. It does have a black pickguard but you can change that or take it off your VMJ and put it on the Fender :) Not only highly recommended here (look for my other threads) but when I was buying it, I was comparing it to a Musicman and there really was not much in in it. Yes it had a different sound and neck but no worse, just different. It cost £440 and I love it. Check the picture below.

[/quote]

That's a lovely looking bass - pretty much exactly what I'm after (I think!!!)

[quote name='Linus27' post='354785' date='Dec 15 2008, 08:52 AM']I have just bought a Fender 70's Reissue Jazz bass, exactly as you described. Block inlays in Sunburst. It does have a black pickguard but you can change that or take it off your VMJ and put it on the Fender :huh: Not only highly recommended here (look for my other threads) but when I was buying it, I was comparing it to a Musicman and there really was not much in in it. Yes it had a different sound and neck but no worse, just different. It cost £440 and I love it. Check the picture below.

[/quote]

How do these compare to the USA Jazz's? I've always been a bit wary of the Mexican fenders - the bass player in a band I used to play with as a Guitarist had one and it was really nasty to play (and didn't sound that great either)

that said they look absolutely amazing - I can't find them in stock anywhere though :)

To be honest, that was my thought at first, that Mexican Fender's were horrible. I was after a mid range bass that I could use as a solid workhorse and would either be my second bass to a Musicman or my joint main bass to the Musicman.

So I did a search and saw some threads on here regarding this bass and the Mexican Fender 50's Precision. Both basses were being raved about. Especially the 70's Jazz. Some were even saying that it was as good as and better than the American models which people had played in the shops or owned.

Of course, the proof was in the playing so I went down to Andertons in Guildford to try a few different basses, including the 70's re-issue Jazz. The standard Mexican jazz bass was horrible. The standard Mexican Precision was okish but certainly not what I wanted to spend £350 on. So I tried the 70's re-issue jazz as this was what I really wanted to play and from just holding it, the bass felt fantastic. Please note, this was also brand new out of the box. Plugged in and again, fantastic. Clear, punchy with lots of great tone. The bass does however feel very 70's. Bit frets, defined C shape neck and looks very retro. I fell in loved with it and my wife said your playing that as if its been your bass for years. I then compared it to a musicman and this also sounded fantastic (I used to own one so I know how they sound and play) but no better or worse than the 70's Fender. Just very different. Totally different tone and totally different neck. So the Fender stood up very well and I happily parted with £450.

I then went about comparing it to my 1988 Japanese ESP 400 Series Jazz bass which is one of the best basses I have heard and to be honest it sounds as good if not slightly better.

So as you can see, it really is a superb bass and as others have said, some of the Mexican basses are stunning and better than the American counterparts. All you can do is go and try one for yourslef. I would also have a read through these threads.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31064&hl=Linus27"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=Linus27[/url]

[quote name='Linus27' post='354992' date='Dec 15 2008, 01:29 PM']To be honest, that was my thought at first, that Mexican Fender's were horrible. I was after a mid range bass that I could use as a solid workhorse and would either be my second bass to a Musicman or my joint main bass to the Musicman.

So I did a search and saw some threads on here regarding this bass and the Mexican Fender 50's Precision. Both basses were being raved about. Especially the 70's Jazz. Some were even saying that it was as good as and better than the American models which people had played in the shops or owned.

Of course, the proof was in the playing so I went down to Andertons in Guildford to try a few different basses, including the 70's re-issue Jazz. The standard Mexican jazz bass was horrible. The standard Mexican Precision was okish but certainly not what I wanted to spend £350 on. So I tried the 70's re-issue jazz as this was what I really wanted to play and from just holding it, the bass felt fantastic. Please note, this was also brand new out of the box. Plugged in and again, fantastic. Clear, punchy with lots of great tone. The bass does however feel very 70's. Bit frets, defined C shape neck and looks very retro. I fell in loved with it and my wife said your playing that as if its been your bass for years. I then compared it to a musicman and this also sounded fantastic (I used to own one so I know how they sound and play) but no better or worse than the 70's Fender. Just very different. Totally different tone and totally different neck. So the Fender stood up very well and I happily parted with £450.

I then went about comparing it to my 1988 Japanese ESP 400 Series Jazz bass which is one of the best basses I have heard and to be honest it sounds as good if not slightly better.

So as you can see, it really is a superb bass and as others have said, some of the Mexican basses are stunning and better than the American counterparts. All you can do is go and try one for yourslef. I would also have a read through these threads.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31064&hl=Linus27"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=Linus27[/url][/quote]

I think I'll probably end up going for one of these, unless something amazing turns up secondhand. Now I just need to find a shop near enough to me that has them in stock!!!

[quote name='lateralus462' post='355021' date='Dec 15 2008, 01:55 PM']I think I'll probably end up going for one of these, unless something amazing turns up secondhand. Now I just need to find a shop near enough to me that has them in stock!!![/quote]

Have you tried Andertons in Guildford?

[quote name='lateralus462' post='355072' date='Dec 15 2008, 02:48 PM']It says they're out of stock on the andertons website[/quote]

Andertons website is not always up to date. It might be worth phoning them. When I went to have a look, the bass was not even on the website but i asked and they got a new one down still boxed from upstairs.

Try Guitar Village in Farnham also.

[url="http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-detail.asp?id=6624&catid=8&manid=29&quantity=1&product=Fender+70%27s+Reissue+Jazz+Bass%2C+3+Tone+Sunburst%2C+New%2C+Inc%2E+Gigbag"]http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-det...C+Inc%2E+Gigbag[/url]

Edited by Linus27