Why become a member? ×

Gary ‘Gazza’ Johnson – China Crisis

• 1 month later...

Waterloo Festival! Eddie was walking along the beach round about the time I was playing! Back playing with the China's, off and on, have been for a couple of years. Even played Hanna Hanna a few times. Hadn't been played since '83, seems like nobody could work out how I do it. Not telling! There's a live version from the Ahoy in Rotterdam in '83, which even I hadn't heard till a few weeks ago. Grin like a Cheshire cat in the gym when that came on. Back playing fretless, 5-string, now. Haven't loved playing this much in years, and I'm 60. Gig at every opportunity till you drop, I've learned that too many times in the last 20 years. Just do what you love. 

• Like 2

On 20/04/2013 at 10:17, martthebass said:
MB1 said:

MB1. :)

African and White a great bassline.However my faves gotta be" Working with fire and steel"!

Gotta agree Mart, and as a Steelmaker the line 'and things get f#*^d and you're to blame' has haunted me many times.......

.....actually, "Things get f***ed and we're to blame", "we" being the working class. 

Edited by bluegazbloke

• 5 months later...
On 08/07/2018 at 22:26, bluegazbloke said:

Waterloo Festival! Eddie was walking along the beach round about the time I was playing! Back playing with the China's, off and on, have been for a couple of years. Even played Hanna Hanna a few times. Hadn't been played since '83, seems like nobody could work out how I do it. Not telling! There's a live version from the Ahoy in Rotterdam in '83, which even I hadn't heard till a few weeks ago. Grin like a Cheshire cat in the gym when that came on. Back playing fretless, 5-string, now. Haven't loved playing this much in years, and I'm 60. Gig at every opportunity till you drop, I've learned that too many times in the last 20 years. Just do what you love. 

I saw CC at one of their annual Christmas party gigs in The Cavern on Friday night. Brilliant atmosphere, and topped off by being able to stand and watch Gazza playing Hanna Hanna. To be honest, I'm still none the wiser at how he does it!! On just about every other song, the right hand looks like it is barely stroking the string, such a laid back style, but on Hanna Hanna, all hell seems to break loose! Sounds other worldy to me!

Edited by Nagai
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wow! I'm rapt I stumbled across this thread. Been a fan of China Crisis since the 80s. Got all their albums and put them as my favourite band, ahead of Steely Dan and The Police. I'm a bass player and coincidently, my first name is Kevin, my surname Johnson and I've always been captivated by the tasteful drums and bass of CC.
Nothing is overdone in CC's music and I'm endlessly fascinated by the way all the musical elements mesh perfectly. I never get tired of listening to them.
Oh yeah...super excited today: just bought tickets to see them live here in New Zealand--their first time down under and something I never thought I would get to experience. Gotta wait till August though. Errrggh.
Strength of Character What a song!

Edited by KevinRex
Something to add.

• 1 month later...

Hello Gary,  I bought Possible Popsongs and Working With Fire & Steel and really enjoyed the music of China Crisis but at that time never realized the importance of the bassplaay. Until February 26th when I saw and heard you play in De Boerderij in zoetermeer (NL). I was really flabbergasted. My compliments: you inspired me in a tremendous way. Whenever you are in the Netherlands, please let me know.

• 9 months later...

Gazza and Kevin Wikinson (RIP) were my favorite rhythm section.  Both very musical and obviously a lot of interplay between them - made CC very good songs awesome.  "Hanna Hanna", "Here Come a Raincloud", "Blue Sea", boy the list could just go on and on.  Saw the group in Kansas City in 1986 and grabbed a song list off the stage.  One of the highlights of my extended youth.