Why become a member? ×

Amp hiss...

Faithless

So, I've noticed that when I'm standing with my guitar [i]just in front of[/i] my Ashdown MAG (600head + 410 cab) amp, it starts to hiss..

When I go to side, whether left or right, hiss dissapears.. Not to forget, hiss-power depends on amount of Treble used..

I've tried to check this with both basses (active Ibbies) - problem remains the same..

I've also tried to shut down lights and stuff in studio, but it didn't help.

It might sound stupid, but, why it happens (hiss 'comes in') only then, when I'm standing [i]actually in front of[/i] my amp (with guitar, of course)..? :)

Why I'm asking is... On Thursday this 'brand new' Ashdown amp will 'perform' in his first gig live, so there's a possibility, that I'll have to stand just[i] in front of[/i] my amp.. You got it.

P.S. about my stuff - cables are just good enough not to cause the problem, FX processor is also *high-end* stuff, and I ain't using any drive or somethin' else from it, that could actually cause the hiss..

Edited by Faithless

It might be just good old body capacitance?

"Transient electromagnetic noise generated by ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) is considered to cause serious electromagnetic interference to high-tech devices. One of the main causes of this ESD is known to be charging of the human body. Hence, the static capacitance of the human body, which is deeply related to the human body potential, has been measured. However, the body capacitance is strongly dependent on the relationship between the ground plane and the body posture. It is therefore not clear what factors govern the body capacitance. In this paper, the static capacitance of a body standing on a ground plane is calculated by means of the surface charge method. The human body consists of polyhedra in the calculation. In this paper, three types of polyhedra, with 765, 917, and 1529 surfaces, are used. It is found that the capacitance increases as the backs of the soles of the shoes approach the ground plane, that the body capacitance at the same height (10 mm) as the soles of the shoes is 120 to 130 pF, and that it is about 60 pF if the location of the soles is sufficiently high. The computational findings are confirmed by measurement of the body capacitance."

I knew all that off by heart but couldn't be bothered to put it n my own words so I did a lazy arse cut & paste :)