Why become a member? ×

Ibanez RD605 pickups

geoffbyrne

Hi Guys,

I'm a lurker here & don't usually post, but.....

I'm trying to find out if the Basslines in my Ibanez RD605 are the 'a' (alnico) or the 'd' (ceramic[!]) versions.

I've trawled the usual places and this has not been mentioned anywhere I can see so far.

Word is that the ceramic MM5 is a 'better' pup then the alnico, in this case, and I happen to have a brand new one in the drawer!

If the MM in the RD605 is alnico, then I'll swap.

Has anyone got this info? I post here as this model was not (widely) available in the US.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

hi geoff, i've had a good trawl through some searches and nothing is yeilding any results. they dont state wether they are alnico or ceramic, just true USA seymors. the closest i have got is a japanise catalogue but i dont speak japanise so i'm stuck there.
heres the link anyway (look in the 2007 catalogue)
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/archive/catalog/"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/archive/catalog/[/url]
i'll keep having a look but it might be worth dropping ibanez an email anyway.

mike

Hi, I did have that bass, sold it on here to a guy just up the road in Liverpool. I remember taking the pickups out to check myself, the model numbers are stamped on the baseplate. They were SMB 5a & SJ5-67/70 Both alnico magnets. I thought they sounded great, but the preamp wasnt the greatest though.

[quote name='tempo' post='350282' date='Dec 9 2008, 11:08 PM']Hi, I did have that bass, sold it on here to a guy just up the road in Liverpool. I remember taking the pickups out to check myself, the model numbers are stamped on the baseplate. They were SMB 5a & SJ5-67/70 Both alnico magnets. I thought they sounded great, but the preamp wasnt the greatest though.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I suppose it's best if I open it up & have a look.

Since I have 2 MM5s, the template & a router, what's the thinking on a Double MM5?

G.

[quote name='tempo' post='350459' date='Dec 10 2008, 10:28 AM']I've always fancied HH basses, as long as the "bridge" 'bucker is in the correct place.[/quote]

Being that there's already a route for the J pup at the neck, I'd need to place the template over that for the route - not much choice there - I suppose it could go North or South about 1/4" either way. And the bridge pup is where it is - no changing that.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='351387' date='Dec 11 2008, 12:15 AM']Being that there's already a route for the J pup at the neck, I'd need to place the template over that for the route - not much choice there - I suppose it could go North or South about 1/4" either way. And the bridge pup is where it is - no changing that.

G.[/quote]

OK, FYI, I loosened off the strings and took the screws out of the MM5 - and it's already a ceramic (D) model.

If I could find someone handy with a router I'd go HH but with mini-switches for parallel/single/series for each pup.

I've got the pickup, template & router (I'd need the right bit) but I lack experience & confidence.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='351977' date='Dec 11 2008, 05:47 PM']OK, FYI, I loosened off the strings and took the screws out of the MM5 - and it's already a ceramic (D) model.

If I could find someone handy with a router I'd go HH but with mini-switches for parallel/single/series for each pup.

I've got the pickup, template & router (I'd need the right bit) but I lack experience & confidence.

G.[/quote]

Anyone handy with a router in the vicinity of Loughborough?

Geoff

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='354312' date='Dec 14 2008, 03:54 PM']Anyone handy with a router in the vicinity of Loughborough?

Geoff[/quote]

Dave Mann Music in nottingham did some routing for me, not a million miles form Loughborough.

I used to have an RD900 - fantastic basses, and very underrated compared to the Soundgear stuff.