Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Jack Casady 3 point bridge woes

Misowaki

Oooh, I'm not a happy bunny. After reacquiring a JC bass (foolishly sold the last because of an old band),  it appears I've been sold a dud. 

Some numbnuts with no clue about how to set up a 3 point had the back 2 posts higher than the front and it's pulled the back posts out, mainly G side.  I've tried to hammer them back in with a hard felt kick pedal beater but they won't stay and I'm pretty gypsy's kissed. They've clearly messed with it as the screw slots are shredded too.

Any suggestions on a good fix that won't screw it up or make it worse?

I did wonder why the dude had put a bunch of nuts on the ball ends with no real reason or rhyme. Seems it was an attempt to counteract the pull as opposed to lengthening to increase tension.

AAAAARRRGGGGGHHH!!!0233b08a9ae3bda9ada5e55b5f6e4602.0.thumb.jpg.9ae67e9327373e2d966ff5c78df91bf7.jpg4864123aa2d0c2a1ff4756f361edf58f.0.thumb.jpg.b737a1d64331a77dc012ac99add5b03e.jpg19cbfd535a9f006efa54fcfc61473586.0.thumb.jpg.609b5199d8f1b99ebbdcb2c723e47db6.jpg0233b08a9ae3bda9ada5e55b5f6e4602.0.thumb.jpg.9ae67e9327373e2d966ff5c78df91bf7.jpg

e187584ffb367f9bc8cd1d1f355558c9.0.jpg

If it was me, I would (have in the past) get some standard 0.6mm veneer and cut some strips, just short of the depth of the holes and about 1/3 of the diameter of the stud. 

I would then, one strip at a time, pop a couple of drops of super glue on the back, pop it in the hole and press it against the sides with something suitably round (biro case of similar).  Doesn't need to be an exact fit - the glue is really just to hold it in place.  Then pop the next one in opposite so you should have a lining to the holes round 2/3 of the circumference.  That gives you a 1.2mm tighter fit which should be more than plenty.  Then hammer the stud back in.

If you need some suitably bendy veneer (some types bend better than others) just pm me your address and I'll send you a few strips in the post. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

you need some suitably bendy veneer (some types bend better than others) just pm me your address and I'll send you a few strips in the post. 

That's really kind of you, thank you.

What I've attempted (a fix that has worked for many things previously) is to make a paste from wood glue and pencil shavings. Put some in and tried hammering back in but it wont sit right and doesn't seem to want to go all the way in. That or the hole is getting bigger which is making me scared of giving it any welly with an actual hammer over a pedal beater... eesh.