Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR1600 barrel jack faulty

Angelus

Bass is cutting out, sometimes and having given the lead a wiggle, it's definitely the jack socket that needs replaced. Opened it up and it's barrel with 3 pins, with a switch inside to cut out battery usage when unplugged and the body of the jack isn't earthed. My problem, I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them. Ordered 4 so far, 3 have arrived and they all have a pin connected to the body. I'm not holding out much hope for the 4th one that's due to arrive. Phoned some places, both local and further afield, only to be told to try various web sites ( all parts etc. ).

Anyone had experience or know somewhere I could phone and try? Any help on the matter is appreciated.

Hi

Barrel jacks are a bit notorious for failing. The stereo version of these from Axesrus are said to be Ibanez-like:

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/W-S-P-Barrel-Jack-Socket-p/wsp-r1.htm

But personally, I would get a Switchcraft one from Allparts uk

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/1-4-inch-long-threaded-barrel-input-jack-switchcraft-152b-stereo

The jack does need to be earthed - although sometimes makers use the control chamber shielding for that but it is prone to failure

Andy

I had a look at the switchcraft one in All Parts last week and the picture put me off, as it's not like the one fitted to the guitar. It has 3 pins of almost ( I'm sure they're different, but not as much as the picture ) equal length. The one in the link you sent has the rather long ( is it the earth pin? ) and it wouldn't fit in the cavity. I think I'll order both and see what comes, although I'm already £30 down and still to get the one I need. 🤣

Thanks Andy.

As long as there are three pins, then any of the barrel sockets will do.    In terms of pins, they often vary in design but the convention is that the longest one is the earth, the shortest one is the tip (normally attach the hot output to this) and the middle length one is the ring (normally attach the battery lead to this).   If the earth pin is too long, it can be shortened with clippers or pliers - as long as there's enough length to solder the earth onto, it will be fine.

Ah, that sounds like I might have one then? I should have waited on your reply before ordering more. 🤣

I can switch 11kv transformers, but three pins and some solder has me confused. 🙄 I'll strip it tomorrow and see how it goes when I de-solder them.

Thanks Andy.

1 minute ago, Angelus said:

Ah, that sounds like I might have one then? I should have waited on your reply before ordering more. 🤣

I can switch 11kv transformers, but three pins and some solder has me confused. 🙄 I'll strip it tomorrow and see how it goes when I de-solder them.

Thanks Andy.

No problem. Let us know how you get on.

Not going to get to it today ( SWMBO has other plans ), but looking at the parts list, the actual jack is discontinued.

SR1600 Parts list

The part number, 3JK1C12DZ, has been replaced with 3JKB6S001-CH. However, a really nice chap at astrings has phoned a supplier and they might have some originals in stock? Just waiting to hear back from Adam and will see how he gets on.

• 3 weeks later...