Why become a member? ×

Aria SWB lite

jcater

Ok - here goes with an update having used the Aria in all of my bands, country, rhythm and blues & jazz over the last few weeks.

The bass performs really well, the change of strings to helicore hybrids has definitely improved the tone. I still use the bass going through the EBS micro bass & EBS compressor & reverb units, (only a slight amount of reverb).

The tone is clearly not that of a double bass but i do not view that as a bad thing, the Aria has a sound of it's own, mellower and fuller than any of my electrics, precision, jazz & stingray. I think that those of us using these should not be defensive about it "not being a double bass". The instrument stands on it's own merits.

From the non musician audience the bass attracts a lot of attention as they are still quite rare to see in pubs, restaurants & functions. Most people who have spoken to me find the sound pleasing & the drummer from last nights gig commented that he felt there was more room in the songs, probably because i was conscious of not trying to play the same lines as i would have on the normal electrics.

My only problems with the Aria at this time is that i find the end pin not really long enough so i knocked up a little wodden block stand - approx 2 inches high - to make the playing position more comfortable whilst not having to extend the pin to it's absoloute maximum.

Also the volume control is quite noisy when being adjusted - does anyone else have experience of this & any solutions.

I do believe that we will see more EUB's being used in the future and that they will not be substitutes for acoustic double basses, the Aria has managed to perform very well in a variety of stiles. I'm sure that one day i will want to buy a more upmarket EUB, (suggestions welcome), but in the meantime i'm happy with what i have.

PS tried someone elses Stag the other night - don't think it matched the Aria for tone or overall feel but for the price excellent value

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

The volume on my Aria is fine - maybe it just needs some switch cleaner?

I fully concur with all your other observations though. After almost a year of trying to make mine sound like an acoustic bass i've realised that its' 'big fretless' sound is actually very well suited to the songs we play. +1 on the compressor as well- it gives a more organic 'breathy' sound. I'm using a Tech 21 compressor at the moment but I'm going to treat myself to a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ following a number of recommendations.
I'm also considering bypassing the onboard EQ entirely and just using the Fishman (when I get it...). I think the bass was originally designed as a silent practice bass to be used with headphones (explaining the huge output level from the onboard preamp) so I'm wondering if using a preamp specifically desiged to go into an amp will get more out of the bass.

It's interesting that you don't rate the Stagg as they look almost identical!
Dave