Why become a member? ×

Line 6 DL4 alternatives?

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi all.

I've always liked effects on bass, but used in a subtle way, but I've been watching a lot of YouTube stuff from Pedals and Effects lately and it's been really inspiring. Juan Aldrete is doing some mad stuff and his enthusiasm is contagious.

I particularly like what the Line 6 DL4 can do as I'd like to encourage my creative side by doing ambient soundscape stuff, who knows, maybe even the odd solo spot in an empty coffee shop or corner of a deserted pub :)

I'm new to the world of delay but I like the creativity the line 6 seams to enable but I've also heard of reliability issues.

I can't afford to have to keep buying a great sounding pedal that breaks so I wonder if theres a more rugged alternative to the DL4? in the £180 - £200 region

I've looked at the TC Flashback x 4 but it seams very "polite" not as prone to the more trippy, spacey sounds and in fact most vids of it are just using its loop function on bass.

A looper isn't my prime requirement of a delay, I can just buy an additional looper, I want something with a broad palette of delays that is reliable, usable and inspiring towards the weirder, soundscape end of things.

Basically I think I want a DL4 clone that wont break :)

Any advice please?

Edited by subaudio

I went through exactly the same thought process, and ended up with a Vox Delaylab. I have only messed around with it for about an hour, but that is because I'm lazy rather than me not liking it - it seems to do pretty much what I thought I wanted it to, and has the capacity for a bunch of fudged effects in addition. It's a shame I haven't got to grips with it, because it was relatively cheap second hand, and seems like a well designed unit. It probably won't survive the impending gear cull, but that is no fault of its own.

Ditto X4 does a bunch of time warping reverse looping stuff too.

Consider a Zoom G3 or B3, any version. You can load up six effects per patch. They can ALL be delays if you want, reverse, modulation, etc. I use my old G3 after my B3n for space/ambient/chorusy effects only.

Sometimes I run this into a Boss RC-300 looper, which also has effects if I want. I can go crazy with that lot.

The Zoom boxes are great value imho. You’re right about the Flashbacks, they are very good but a bit polite.