Why become a member? ×

How many of you are converted (successful) guitarists?

Jamesemt

Wouldn't say I was a successful guitarist.....

I started on Bass in 1986, but my father had guitars around the house before that.

I then got a Gibson SG in 1988 ((Which had a sad end, I sold it to a friend, who lent it to his drummer, who had it out of it's case (goodness knows why) on the back seat of a (Austin) Mini, and had to suddenly brake hard, the guitar slipped off the seat and broke in two...)), then a Les Paul, etc. But in the early 90's it always seemed there was a lack of bass players, so I got a MIJ Squire Jazz to have a decent bass.

I then did not play in a band from about '95 to January 2008, when things changed for the better, and I got a bass gig in a local indy/rock band.

I have a Les Paul Studio and a Mex 50's Fender Telecaster to dabble on/record with, but as far as the band goes I am a BASS player.

My Mum made me play piano from when I was 8. When I say 'made', I really mean it! She would time my practice and I have vivid memories of coming off the piano and being told that 10 minutes weren't up yet!

At 13 I got a hankering to play bass. Still not sure why. Loads of people told me I'd need to learn guitar first, thankfully I ignored them. It just so happened that my school had an amazing bass teacher (who I found out later, when I started learning double bass, was rather famous in Australia) who taught me well and nurtured my love for it.

I've self taught guitar (badly) but only play drunkenly around campfires.

I started in piano, then violin, then guitar, then bass. I still play guitar (in a punk/garage band) and bass in a functions band. I tend to play piano or guitar at home.

I prefer to play rock/punk on guitar, and soul/ballads/country on bass. But its all good.

I have 2 Rickenbacker 360 guitars (6 and 12 string), an old Maton Alver, an Ibanez acoustic, a cheapo strat copy and cheapo classical guitar. And a ukelele and a mandolin. The cheapo strat gets played most often at home.

Basses are a 70s Fender Musicmaster and a defretted Warwick Rockbass.

Nearly all my gigs are on bass now, so I'm looking to upgrade, probably to a Lakland Duck Dunn.