Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kovax Tolecut for flattening a refinish

vinorange

Has anyone on here had experience using kovax tolecut for flattening a finish prior to cut / polish?

I was lucky enough to attend a Jon Shuker set up and maintenance course and happened to ask if Jon used traditional wet sanding and polishing on his finished only for Jon to show me this stuff.

Incredibly expensive (£20 for 25 small sanding block sized sheets), it seems to last a long time but has the ability to flatten a finish using a 1500 grit paper leaving no scratches, meaning your cut and  polish is so much easier (as you're only polishing, not cutting out scratches from the sanding phase).

So far I'm finding it amazingly good stuff and very well behaved. It doesn't break like normal papers either meaning cutting back in the cutouts is miles easier.

Very expensive but worth a punt I think.....

I’ve just fished the bass body now using tolecut 1500 grade paper to cut from the final sprayed finish to ready for polish and I’ve got to say that, although it was hard work , the results are fantastic.

No need for wet sanding from 400 to 800 to 1200 to 2000 just use this. It left the finish flat and ready for mop polishing and having cut then with Meguires ultimate compound I’ve got a lovely flat shiny finish. It seems much quicker than wet sanding and although it takes a lot of paint off quickly it isn’t as aggressive as using 400 wet n dry and it left the finish flat but not scratched.

I’ll definitely be stocking up and just using tolecut in the future.